Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 850 with 176k. The first signs of transmission problems I had was in the morning (especially when its cold out) the transmission seems to be going into "limp-home" (im pretty sure thats what its called) it will not shift out of gear. The only thing I have to do is put the car into 3rd and after it shifts out of gear I shift into drive and the car is fine. I have no more problems and dont need to do this again until the next morning. The arrow light does not come on while this is occuring except when I put it into 3rd. I have always noticed that the transmission shifted a little rough. You feel and hear a minor thump everytime it shifts up. I still have had no problems with the transmission totally slipping or not engaging. The switch for trans was serviced in 98 I believe. Recently on a long drive (5 hours) the arrow light came on along with the check engine at the end of the trip. The car was still driving absolutely fine. The code that it was reading was 3-2-2. There is alot to diagnos with this code. I had the trans fluid change about 3 months ago and it still looks good.. This is my first 850, I have owned two 740's with high mileage that I was able to just have the trans serviced real good and got away with it. Will I be able to do the same with this or should I be gettin out the for sale sign soon??

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You might want to have the adjustment checked on the Park Nuetral Position sensor (PNP) on the trans.Did you pull codes from the transmission side?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Feb 23 2005, 10:28 AM)You might want to have the adjustment checked on the Park Nuetral Position sensor (PNP) on the trans.Did you pull codes from the transmission side?
[snapback]3877[/snapback]​

Yes, I believe the codes were pulled from the transmission side.. Should I just go ahead and replace the (PNP) that was originally what I was planning on doing??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that the weather isnt cold anymore. The transmission seems to be engaging good in the morning.. Its only happening when it sits for a few days..

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It might not be a bad idea since you were going to replace it anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess i will try that out first.. Does it sound like I might eventually need to replace the tranny?? my last volvo (740) i was able to get 220,000 and the trans was still running strong after it was acting up and I had everything serviced on it. ANy other suggestions.. I here that the trans on the 850 tend to wear out when the hit high miles..

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The 850 transmission tend to wear out more often than the older rear wheel drive cars.You should be good for a while but I can't garranty it.It could go at anytime.That is just how transmissions are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Feb 23 2005, 01:59 PM)The 850 transmission tend to wear out more often than the older rear wheel drive cars.You should be good for a while but I can't garranty it.It could go at anytime.That is just how transmissions are.
[snapback]3894[/snapback]​

hopefully it works out.. thanks for the help, i will keep u posted on it..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have your same problem with the only difference that my tranny shifts properly although between 2 and 3 rd it feels sluggish. I'll pick it up this weekend from the volvo technician (not dealer) and hope the situation is fixed. He took apart the valve body and cleaned it and replaced all sensors. Will let you know how things come up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It could be dirty contacts .
with the motor off and the key in the access. positon .
Shift back and forth from low to Park 20 times fast and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got my 850 back from the tech, he replajed three sensors in the transmisionand changed oil. although the previous had only 200 miles. Since then, around a week ago to today, the infamous yellow blinking arrow has not come to life again. Although I did not ask what the sensors were for, I am sure one of them was for the lock-out. Next time I go by to recheck the vehicle I'll ask the tech for the part numbers and let you
Good luck and a warm hello from sunny Puerto Rico

1 - 12 of 12 Posts