Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a California 850 T5-R a couple of months ago and for a 10 year old car, the condition of the exterior is good. However, there is some fading of the plastic. It actually looks more gray than black and I am not sure what the original color was. I read about a product called ForeverBlack, but I not sure the plastic was really black to begin with. Any advice on products to restore the plastics? Thx.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It was black originally.There is diffrent brands and diffrent names out there for the stuff to repair the moldings.Try to find a good detail shop in your area or check with the used car section at your dealer.Most of the time when they sell 850's now they repair all the moldings before they sell them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi,

I've found the best stuff for doing this job is Kiwi liquid shoe polish. Believe it or not, after several coats it looks really good and can be buffed up to a real nice vinyl shine. I've even done the door handles on my 850 and they've stayed really nice.

Just a matter of adding another coat with a soft cloth now and then to keep them looking nice. I'm in the uk so don't know if you have kiwi brand but there must be an equivalent in the us.

Regards, Roy

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
If you are referring to the plastic trims on the top part of the bumper and the side-linings, in my country, most 850s come in dark-grey. Only the newer models are black.

But 'painting' them with Kiwi shoe polish sounds do-able and I am sure it looks nicer. But I think the manual mentioned that it would not be a good idea to use a different kind of liquid substance on the plastic trims, than that used for the other exterior body parts. Probably so that the plactis parts won't deteriorate faster.
But if it already has started deteriorating, then I guess it is up to you!

Cars in hot countries like ours, deteriorate faster. Though mine looks 'refreshingly' like new, i have seen a few that have really peeled-off in all directions. ==> The car looks so sad. I pity it.
Fortunately, he/she can send it into the aftermarket stores for 'refurbishing' works.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re the plastic bits,

I have 2 850's 1993 GLT Sedan and a 1994 GLE wagon, and the plastics have been the bane of my car cleaning life.

Firstly, the sedan and the wagon are dark grey, I believed this was the standard until getting around to detailing the mirror surround one day I noticed that it was black (only that one part, doh!). So being as anal as I am, I pulled the thing apart and found made in USA. So I gather you guys have the black trim. Others get the grey.

Anyway onto the issue, as mine are grey (with the black sheep as well) restoring them to their former glory was achieved by using brake parts cleaner..... the reason being, that after up close inspection the fading was mostly just built up alkaline deposits, wax and junk in the rippled surface. I gave them a blast of brake part cleaner, scrubbed with medium toothbrush, to get into all the nasty spots. Initially they are going to go whiteish, don't panic! After that I took to them with the vinyl protector. Like new! However, I still have yet to find one that doesn't run all over you car after a good rain, and the worst I think is Amorall, which leaves greasy streaks all down the paintwork!

Give it a try on an inconspicous area first and see how it goes, but I would be stripping the wax out not adding to the layers first.

Cheers

Oz

·
Registered
43 Posts
No it's surprisingly waterproof. I must say that when I heard about it i wasn't sure and imagined the first rainstorm the 850 would be sitting in a big black puddle. The trim has been done about a month now and still looks good. I found the best way to put it on is by brushing it on. The first couple of coats I was thinking I had made a big mistake but after a couple more, the job was done and looks great. Do it over a couple of days giving 2 coats each day and finish off when totally dry by giving it a good buffing with a soft cloth. Certainly looks better than it did originally. The polish I put on the door handles hasn't rubbed off either. My car is slate grey and the black trim matches well. - Roy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Then you best send me over a can of dark grey Kiwi shoe polish from down at Mister Minute then! Lol... seriously I will have a go if you say it works!

Oz

·
Registered
43 Posts
Black's best, that's what I used, can't guarantee grey, don't know if they even make it! Best of luck with it, let me know how you get on. Takes about 2 small containers to complete the job, - Roy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kziol--I bought a white 97 R wagon last week from a man in Idaho who bought it new in Los Angeles. I drive a 97 GLT here in Norway that I had shipped over from the States, and, like you, I despaired at the plastic molding around the doors and fenders fading to a washed out gray. The original color was anthracite gray. But over time, especially with waxing, it gets a kind of whitish ugly look to it. Most of the so called remedies on the market are cover ups, not cleaners. Here in Norway many of the car washes use a petroleum solvent when you got through a car wash to get all the asphalt and encrusted salt softened before hitting your car with the soapy wash. This will quite naturally strip off any kind of black cover up cleaner.

I finally went to a body shop here and the owner gave me a pink jelly-like cleaner made specifically for cleaning plastic, and it worked beautifully. Took off all the white looking wax, and restored the anthracite color back to its fresh original color. I saw basically the same cleaner at a Volvo dealer, so I know if you go to one in the US, you should find something that will work as well. There's only one reason--and it's a good one--to buy a 70 series, is that ALL the plastic trim is sprayed the same color as the rest of the car. What a pain to try and keep wax off the handles, trim and bumpers, in addition to roof rails if you have them, like I do. But the anthracite gray trim, especially on a white or red R wagon, truly makes the difference. Almost worth the hassle. Dick

·
Registered
13 Posts
I haven't had any experience with the Kiwi shoe polish, but I have used Forever Black to help restore my old grey bumpers. It works beautifully and was quite simple to apply. It is a little more expensive than the Kiwi but if you go here , I think it is a little cheaper. I hope it works as well for you as it did for me, let me know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts