Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I dont know if there's anybody out there that has ever replaced the bulbs in an SC-805 radio, but if there is, I would sure be grateful to know of any tips.

It is the bulbs behind the panel that aren't working, the last one packed up last night, the backlight to the display works fine.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
There is a way But I haven't done it yet.

You have to remove the front cover from the radio and then look from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have taken off front panel and am then confronted with what appears to be the back of a printed circuit board with the bulbs protruding thru from the inside. What I am not sure about is how to get to the back of this board without damaging something (not being a radio engineer - I'm more used to turbines & compressors!).

I took the top cover off and could see six small screws securing the CD & tape players inside but wasn't sure what would happen if I took this all to bits, so for the time being have put it back together.

Hoping someone out there can help as I won't buy a replacement unit which costs about £400 for six light bulbs. - It had to be assembled in the first place, so it should be able to be disassembled!!

Alternatively, if anyone knows the the whereabouts of a dead one of these SC805 units that I can tear apart to see how it's put together I would grateful to know.

Thanking anyone for any advice/help

Chris.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you mean the lighting of the display, this is (after taking the radio apart) covered in a protecting tin.
Melt the tin open carefully, remove display and first then you can reach the lights. Then exchange the lights, replace the display and seal/weld the tin again!

Some dealers ship the radio's for this repair to special repairshops, normally costs of repair are around 150 euro's/US dollars.

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE(chris williams @ Aug 11 2005, 10:47 PM)Thanks denkweb, I'll give that a try next week sometime and see how I get on

Chris.
[snapback]13315[/snapback]​

Perhaps you know a technician/electrician with a steady hand to help you out on this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The solution talks about the display, but what about the buttons.

On my SC 805 only the bottom row of buttons are lit and the display. The top part all the buttons are dark. Maybe it has to do with the fact that before there was a Volvo CR-603 radio installed and now when I have installed the bigfront radio SC 805 maybe something has to be changed in the wiring or is it really the bukbs which are burnt ? If so where do you get the bulbs (providing one can change it )

Churchill

·
Registered
1 Posts
"exchanging the lights", that's no problem. But where to find these kind of lights?
I've been at several places but nobody ever had seen such kind of lights.
Does anyone know how they are called and where to find them?

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(chris williams @ Aug 11 2005, 11:26 PM)
Alternatively, if anyone knows the the whereabouts of a dead one of these SC805 units that I can tear apart to see how it's put together I would grateful to know.
[snapback]13304[/snapback]​

The only place I could think of would be the scrap yards.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(blumke @ Oct 23 2005, 07:35 PM)"exchanging the lights", that's no problem. But where to find these kind of lights?
I've been at several places but nobody ever had seen such kind of lights.
Does anyone know how they are called and where to find them?
[snapback]17122[/snapback]​

Take them out and visit your Electrical super/hyper markets...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts