Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I'm new to the forum but have had my 96 850 R fro a year now. and i seriously susect that the turbo is going bad (burned 4 quarts in 4k miles!!!) it has all the symptoms. however i would like to know wheather to put in a stock or upgradded turbo in there. if i go for upgraded what is recommended?? if any. i just want to know what my options are here and what to do. I have also been looking at ECU chips. which one is the best fo rthe car? ( I heard IPD is good but recently stumbled upon UPSOLUTE? anyhow just want the know the pluses and minuses of each) and to address my main concearn with power increases .. what about the tranny?? I have an AT will it be damaged or can it handle the increase, if not what can be done to help it out. also its red as u all may know and i have treid everything short of repainting to bring the paint back. (it oxidizes badly in the sun) its 9 years old true but i have clay bared and waxed and i still see the white haze. i may be picky but i just want it to look good.

please if any of you can help me out it would be appreciated.

ohh one more thing about the smoke, could it really be the breather hose?? and how do u check that?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I would suspect the Turbo as well.

Try to locate an upgraded turbo as well.

I like the IPD stuff haven't had much experiance with any of the others.

The trans might be ok but it might break as well.

It all depends on the milage and how it was driven in the past.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I would put back the standard TD model back into the engine, as compatibility would be perfect. But should you decide otherwise, as I was told that the TD model specific for the R engine is not easy to find, please post feedback later, ya?

However, if you want to prolong the life of your turbo, here's some tips.
1) Do not race engine immediately after starting.
2) When stopping engine, allow engine to idle for approximately 60 seconds before shutting it off. Failure to do so may cause turbocharger damage due to lack of oil flowing to the turbocharger bearings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts