Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Someone once told me that it comes only in Pearl White and Pearl White only. But that was when it first got released.

Nine or ten years later, who knows what colour they pack.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do only come in pearl white. Im pretty sure they also come with cold accents instead of silver including the grill.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
the platinum edition were the t5's from the previous years. when they made the R's the t5's were all painted that white color. the gold t5 is just that a gold color. there are a couple in brooklyn that i have seen. depends on what area you live in, like why are there more beige cars in florida and texas than anywhere else in the country? hmmmmm......why does fred flintstone order the brontosaurus ribs every episode, if it flips his car over? what do bald men put down as hair color on their licenses? and a gold t5 is a gold t5. okay, tooo much coffee today.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jesus, you friggen did it again lol.QUOTE(TheGreekMason @ May 25 2008, 08:45 PM)the platinum edition were the t5's from the previous years. when they made the R's the t5's were all painted that white color. the gold t5 is just that a gold color. there are a couple in brooklyn that i have seen. depends on what area you live in, like why are there more beige cars in florida and texas than anywhere else in the country? hmmmmm......why does fred flintstone order the brontosaurus ribs every episode, if it flips his car over? what do bald men put down as hair color on their licenses? and a gold t5 is a gold t5. okay, tooo much coffee today.
[snapback]81173[/snapback]​

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
what did i do? it wasn't me, it was my brother costa, or maybe andreas, or marcos, definetely marcos.... not me, i was with the pope, chief of police, ghandi, mother threresa and the greek archbishop playing checkers. and i won.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
I hate bringing up an old thread but I'm new to the site and using the search feature.

I didn't know what I was buying but I just knew it was different. I was looking for a wagon project, checking the classifieds and ultimately decided a Volvo Turbo wagon was perfect. I had an '89 740 Turbo wagon years ago and loved it but I couldn't find one locally for sale. I've heard of the 850's somewhat bad reputation but for the deal I got [yes it needs work], the overall look of the 850 and now confirming it is a special edition just adds icing to the cake smile.gif

I loved the Platinum color at first sight, even though it's super filthy but I just knew it was unique. A salesman had it then gave it to his son to drive and it shows. It's got high mileage, an overheating problem [likely the head gasket caused by a stuck thermostat], the Trac light is on, the ABS light is on and the interior seating is rough up front [as with all 850's though]. It runs well even though it overheats but a super project car and only $300 bucks!

I'll post some photos in a few days and welcome any/all advice. I'm not new to Volvo but I am new to the 850's and the 5 cylinder & FWD set up.

Great info here!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Good for you!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Update ~ It was just a stuck thermostat causing the overflow to boil over/steam. It never actually got hot and it runs great with normal temp after replacing the thermostat.

I bought this with the rear side cargo glasses [yep, both sides] shattered due to him hauling some type of musical instrument that flopped around during his attempt to avoid an accident. He had taped them with plastic which left a messy glue residue, still needing some goo gone. The overheating made up his mind to just sell it [lucky me]. I got the rest of the glass and seal out earlier this week in preparation for replacement glass. I contacted a guy on eBay that was parting out a wagon but then noticed a member here that had a parts car and like the other vehicle forums I frequent, I like to buy from other members. I think he might have some trouble removing the glass with the seal unless he's done it before. I'm awaiting to hear from him soon.

I'm going to have to look into the PCV system cleaning/servicing as I've got the start of smoke out the oil dipstick.

So far, so good

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just after posting this I called member lkm46 about the glass. He's got them out and ready to send! He's a really GREAT guy and I appreciate his help.

Thanks Levi!

·
Registered
29 Posts
QUOTE (some-beach! @ Feb 21 2009, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just after posting this I called member lkm46 about the glass. He's got them out and ready to send! He's a really GREAT guy and I appreciate his help.

Thanks Levi!

No problem! I am glad to see that they will be going to a good home, and not the crusher.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Actually beach, you could just start off a new thread, just like lkm did.

We're interested to know too.

·
Registered
278 Posts
ampangbear: I found this thread while searching and figured I'd add to it rather than start another since it was in reference to a Platinum Edition.

There's no gold accents as some thought though, just the Platinum color.

I'll be using your excellent PCV tutorial soon ~ THANKS in advance

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
No problemmmo.
Cheers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just purchased one of the 96 Pearl white T5s. The original owner was an attorney and has all the records in chronological order hole punched in a folder. He has had all service including 2 evaporators done at the dealer. Healso has a original sales brochure that states the only made 1,000 of the limiteds. Mine has no gold trim but he did order it with the grey R wheels.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Cool!

Photos?

Mine had the original Platinum Edition 5 spoke wheels exchanged out for the plentiful 6 spoke wheels. He said 2 of the original wheels were damaged/cracked when having new tires installed a few years ago so he just bought a set of the 6 spokes. The long wheels studs remain so I can't install the center caps but I have them. I'm looking for wheels now. I just missed a set of the 17" R wheels & tires but they were curbed pretty good anyway.

Mine has no pedigree per say but............ it's cool when an owner is so anal retentive to keep records like you describe. My Jag has records much the same as you describe ~ typical airline pilot type logs

1 - 20 of 29 Posts