Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any type of adhesive to tack down the passenger side airbag cover? Mine has finally started to pop up at its corners and of course I made it worse by peeling it back even more to see why it's behaving that way. Is the cover shrinking due to the heat? I would want it hold for maybe another couple of years.

I understand that there is actually a repair kit, but the work involved would make me delay this repair until my AC evaporator went out again as it requires the removal of the dashboard. My passenger side blower fan makes a chirping noise whenever I make left turns--so I would probably replace that fan as well while the dashboard is off.

Has anyone attempted a temporary repair for the airbag cover? If so, what type of adhesive did you use?

Thank you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a product called Clearco 900 that is an aerosol adhesive used to adhere laminates and trim material to drywall surfaces. It is made to tolerate high temperatures. As for the my 850, the product has done a great job making my airbag cover look perfect again--it's only been 2 days so far sitting in the sun.

My worry is that the adhesive has made the airbag cover fairly brittle and hard and seems to behave like polyester glue which I know would have also worked. I was hoping that the Clearco 900 product would retain a high tack whilst retaining the flexibile properties of the airbag cover so that it would be able to expand and contract without splitting/cracking. Only time will tell..

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
IM glad it worked for you.

Most of the time in the repairs I have seen it didn't hold because of the other glue in the area(factory) keep peeling up more and taking the new stuff with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tech!

It's only been a little while since the cover has been glued up. I will be more willing to call it a "repair" once it holds up in the Arizona sun for at least 12 months. Again, it's just a temporary fix for me since I know that I need to pull the dashboard at some time to repair the chirping blower fan on the passenger side as well as a future AC evaporator.

I have been reminding myself to turn the AC off at least 2-3 minutes before killing the engine while keeping the blower on to dry out the evaporator giving it some extra life. Same with idling a few minutes to help my turbo live longer which I have been doing since I bought the car new off the lot. I hope these procedures actually helped since it probably has added up to a few days of "idling" time in the past 11 years..

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(Tech @ Sep 9 2005, 10:09 AM)Good luck finding something that will hold.
[snapback]14965[/snapback]​

HAHAHHAHA...

Cruel guy, this Tech!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(chimera @ Sep 10 2005, 11:57 AM)I have been reminding myself to turn the AC off at least 2-3 minutes before killing the engine while keeping the blower on to dry out the evaporator giving it some extra life. Same with idling a few minutes to help my turbo live longer which I have been doing since I bought the car new off the lot. I hope these procedures actually helped since it probably has added up to a few days of "idling" time in the past 11 years..
[snapback]15039[/snapback]​

One easy way of handling this WITHOUT the need for you to wait in the car senselessly (a trait many in big towns would definitely cherish) is to install a turbo-timer.

While there are many, many times and versions of the TT nowadays at the aftermarket shelves, a version you would need is the simplest and it would do the trick just nice. Coincidentally, it is also cheaper.

Get a non-digital one, and it suits just the same as the digital version. Easy, cheap and frees you from the necessary obligations.

Oh yes, one more thing, get a REAL GOOD PRO to install it for you and he will be able to tune your alarm to just 'lock' the car when you leave and press the alarm button on the car, and only 'sets' the alarm the minute the engine dies.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well after less than 2 months of using the spray adhesive to stick the airbag cover to the dashboard, it is starting to loosen. I can tell when I touch it as I feel it moving slightly if I press down on the edges of the cover. The cover itself is very brittle due to the glue holding its form when it dried.

I am suspecting that that expansion/contraction during the days and evenings was simply too much for the glue to stay adhered. It's still very difficult to tell that the airbag cover is coming loose unless I press down on it, but I have a feeling that one day next summer, I will have a nice rectangular plate with "SRS" on my passenger side floor.

Upon closer inspection, it now seems that the vinyl trim material on my bottom of my glovebox door is starting to peel off making it difficult to close the glovebox door.

I was a bit upset to find that the door handle trim started to look funny after only a few years. It seems Volvo used the same adhesive on all parts of the car and it's really starting to show its age due to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts