Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My interior hood release on my 1997 850 will not open the hood. Unfortunately I have a dead battery and need to get to it. The red lever moves but has resistance and will not pop the hood. Does anyone know how to get the hood open otherwise. I have tried to pull the small "T" on the grill that normally opens but that did not work either. We have had a week of cold weather below freezing and at first I had suspected that something was frozen but now after tinkering with it for a while suspect something is jamed. Thank for any comments.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Have you tried having some pull up on the hood while you are pulling the release?If that doesn't work it will be a pain in teh butt to get it to unlatch.Volvo was worried about someone stealing the battery not the owner breaking into the car if the hood release cable breaks.It doesn't release at all some times they will release one side and not the other?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Jan 22 2005, 02:01 PM)Have you tried having some pull up on the hood while you are pulling the release?If that doesn't work it will be a pain in teh butt to get it to unlatch.Volvo was worried about someone stealing the battery not the owner breaking into the car if the hood release cable breaks.It doesn't release at all some times they will release one side and not the other?
[snapback]2487[/snapback]​

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE(skipper @ Jan 22 2005, 11:12 PM)I have tried that as well as pushing down on the hood while the release is being pulled with affect. Thanks for the comments.
[snapback]2489[/snapback]​

I suggest you to try some experienced volvo service, cause I`ve had such prob. vs my RR 4.6 HSE & only guys at service could manage it!

P.S. Try email to webmaster at www.volvospeed.com, as I got, he`s good in volvos stuff!

Luck!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Once you have your hood release handle pulled all the way try pulling the cable more using pliers.Sometimes that will work the 850's are very hard to get open because the cable and latches are inside the engine compartment.Try the trick with the pliers if that doesn't work let me know I will tell you more to try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts