Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving our 850 GLT and saw and smelled smoke from the instrument area. It was electrical smoke for sure. It seemed to be on the left side of the cluster where the clear plastic covers the guages. It was not a lot but plenty like the first smoke from a match or two. I pulled over immediately and called a tow truck. I saw what turned out to be the generator light was on. It is the one that is a battery icon. When I opened the hood carefully I saw or smelled no smoke. Nothing around the fuse box. The day before I am certain that I heard a belt squeal but only for a couple of seconds and then never again. The car still runs but I only ran it for a couple of minutes after the smoking when I had been towed to the garage. It was not a hot day out and I had been driving on city streets for a couple of hours.

I/we would be grateful if anybody had ever heard of or has any knowledge of what it could be.

Thanks so much in advance, Danny and Stephanie

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Hi Danny,

So what did the mechanic tell you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar experience but the wisp of smoke appeared when trying to start the vehicle.

I put the key in the ignition and turned it, all my doors locked and then a tiny wisp of smoke came out from where the steering wheel attaches. the car didnt start and the same thing happend four times in a row. the fifth time, the car turned over just fine and started right away. The stereo acted as though i had disconnected the battery and called for the security code. (fortunately my Volvo dealer had the code, cause the car didnt come with a manual)

ANYWAY

I havent had any problems since and i saw no indication of any damage to the wiring under the hood or elsewhere. I'm wondering what the crap could have happened.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(scarwig @ Sep 29 2005, 01:53 AM)
ANYWAY

I havent had any problems since and i saw no indication of any damage to the wiring under the hood or elsewhere. I'm wondering what the crap could have happened.
[snapback]15920[/snapback]​

You mean your car REPAIRED ITSELF!?

Wow, this is like KIT and KAT in Knight-Rider (where self-publicist D.H. is the hero) a series I used to love when I was a kid, um, close to 20 years ago...

Don't let go of the car dude...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts