Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 1992 850 GLT (Japan new and exported to New Zealand) - the airbag SRS self test light has come on as a fault. The guy I bought the car off had a quote from a dealer that said a new airbag control unit was required. This fault is apparently a very rare part failure on 850 - other dealers in NZ have not sold one such unit as a replacement since 1992! Heat such as direct sun on the centre console has been suggested as possible one reason for the damage.

I disconnected the battery for 24 hours and the fault has not self cleared.

I have been looking around the globe for a second hand unit one without much luck - apparently the early 850's (1991 - 1992 & probably not the USA model which was first sold 1993?) did not have many interchangeable parts whereas the later 850's had a number of interchangable parts such as the airbag control unit for the period 1993 -1997.

The part numbers are Volvo 3515884 and Bosch 0 285 001 035. Bosch say that the unit was not made after 2000 and there were no supercessions.

Does anyone have any ideas for this problem? - I also got a part number of 0 285 001 041 coming back from the USA - this may be the 1993 unit that may or may not be interchangeable with the 1992 850 unit.

Thanks & cheers
zim

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Some times there is the fault of the SRS module going bad.The 850 came to the US in 1993.If the SRS module is bad then the code will not clear it is a permanant failt.Im not sure of the compatibility of the modules.Try doing some research with diffrent company's on the net and see if anyone rebuilds the modules.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx Tech for the reply. I have not had any luck finding someone who rebuilds the units but they are available new from the UK at much friendlier prices than New Zealand or Australia. It may also be possible to get hold of a tested second hand unit (as in the UK they break working cars of this era). This airbag sensor on this 850 model is unfortunately not interchangeable with the 93 facelift and US model model.

One thing I have found in this exercise is it is often better to make a phone call (even from the other side of the world!) than rely on emails to be answered by dealers & wreckers.

Cheers

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I agree alot of times the Phone is a very powerful thing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eventually got this fixed. A very kind Euro car dismantler got a car from Japan for dismantling that was an exact match year model etc to my 1992 850 GLT. Pretty much all sensors to do with the airbag system and seat belts were changed over and presto - fixed. Not sure exactly what component failed but this problem is obviously very tricky to fix. Cost - less than 20% of what NZ Volvo dealer would charge (for a new part & installation obviously). 1993 & 1994 models up are much easier for parts etc air bag wise.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
WOW, fixed almost 12 months later...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was a bit slow on the posting - fixed in 4 months but lots of phone calls and begging!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts