Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this car is a real pain. I just did a complete tune-up and cyl.head replacement to get the car to pass smog. finnaly passed yeh. on the way to smog the car all the warning lights came on but after sitting for a few minutes they went out . friend told me they came on again when she was going down the freeway but went off again. i cheched the charging system was good. now i have no dash indicator lights and the car will not start. i cheched all the fuses and they were ok. i also cheched for spark also ok car has gas but not starting seems to be an electrical problem maybe in the dash but not sure any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
yr clue is no dash lights which I take to mean all that Xmas tree stuff before you crank the engine - correct???

if so I would be looking at the ign switch which is a complex switch with multiple "Poles" and multiple "Throws" to use the sparky lingo

so if you could say a bit more re what happens as you go from posn 1 to posn 2 to posn 3 etc I may be able to help

eg does fan and radio etc work in the access posn?

·
Registered
3 Posts
WHEN I TURN THE KEY TO POSITION 1 NOTHING HAPPENS AT POITION 2 THE SEAT BELT LIGHT COMES ON AND THE HORN WILL WORK BUT THE INDICATOR LIGHTS DO NOT COME ON. WHEN I TURN IT TO POITION 3 THE ENGINE CRANKS OVER I HAVE SPARK TO THE PLUGS BUT NO START. THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE. ALSO TO ADD THIS IS A MULTI PORT FUEL INJECTED 2.3L GAS ENGINE IF YOU DIDN'T ALREADY KNOW THAT. I SUSPECT THE DASH OR THE ECU BUT NOT SURE IF THE ECU CONTROLS THE DASH INDICATORS. I WILL CHECK THE KEY SWITCH AND LET YOU KNOW THANK YOU

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
positions 1 and 2 should be fed from 2 separate fuses so I would be double checking the fuses involved first of all

if OK suspect the switch

I would think the fuses and on my 264 we are talking fuses 1 to 5 here and one of these supplies fuel pump so that would explain why no start

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I FOUND THE PROBLEM
!!! THERE WAS A BROKEN WIRE AT THE ALTERNATOR WHICH FED POWER TO THE DASH. AFTER I REPAIRED THE WIRE THE CAR STARTS AND RUNS GOOD? AFTER ABOUT 3 HOURS THE CAR WOULD NOT START AGAIN. HOWEVER THIS TIME THE DASH INDICATORS WERE WORKING. FOUND I LOST POWER TO THE FUEL PUMPS . AFTER TESTING THE RELAYS I FOUND THAT BOTH OF THE RELAYS BY THE ECU WERE FAULTY. I REPLACED THEM AND CAR STARTS AND RUN PERFECT AGAIN. FOR HOW LONG ? ONLY GOD KNOWS
THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts