2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 740 that decided not to start yesterday. This was after
sitting for 2 days and a very frosty night. It started off by running
for 5 seconds roughly and after that just turns over with little
hints of trying to sputter and run.

It was also parked differently than usual with 2 wheels up on the
curb which raised the left side of the car higher than the right, not
sure if that is a factor....it is back on level ground now.

This is 1 day later and I actually got it to run again for about 10
seconds and as soon as I hit the throttle it stopped. I may have been
pumping it too much today as I now smell fuel when I try to start. It
is fuel injected and I'm not sure if it can be prone to flooding such
as a carburated version would be. If I wait an hour or so it sounds
promising at first then simply goes back to just turning over
again....any thoughts out there?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Could be a bad mass flow sensor.You might want to remove the spark plugs and take a look at them.Yes fuel injected models will flood.You can try to unplug the mass flow sensor and se if it starts and idles.It wont run very good but it should idle good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Dec 28 2004, 05:41 AM)Could be a bad mass flow sensor.You might want to remove the spark plugs and take a look at them.Yes fuel injected models will flood.You can try to unplug the mass flow sensor and se if it starts and idles.It wont run very good but it should idle good.
[snapback]1910[/snapback]​

Well the mighty beast finally started, my next step would have been the Mass Flow if it didnt start, so thanks for the tip anyway.

I let it sit for 12 hours, then I disconnected the battery to allow the electronics to "reset". While disconnected, I cleaned the plugs (which have about 5,000mi on them) yet again and this time it went. I let it idle (no throttle) for a couple mins and went for a drive. I immediatly opened it up and had a black and blue trail of smoke for a couple hundred yards and now its running like it used to, great. I'm not sure what the real cause was now, but thought I'd thank you for your suggestion and let you know how I fared out.

Thanks again,
Dan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts