Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced the head and now I am trying to align the marks on the 3 pulleys for timing belt. Does anyone have a photo of a 1991 or similar crankshaft alignment location that they can share? I need to know if I am to align the keyway slot or the nub on the crankshaft pulley at 11:00. The other locations are straightforward.

Steve Bailey
423-748-3684
1991 Volvo 740 Non-Turbo.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Put the washer on the outside of the timing pulley.Make sure it is the one with the cut in it.Then that lines up with the mark at 11:00 or also I think there is a dot on the crank pulley(timing belt pulley).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured it out yesterday. Thanks though. The car really runs smooth now. I still need to change the oil today, and get my son started on removing the head liner so that we can repair the sunroof cables. I changed the Antifreeze yesterday after a good flushing. I hope the antifreeze I used will not react with the aluminum. It says it won't but I know how particular Mercedes are with antifreeze, and I just worry about the same issue with the Volvo.
I have to replace 1 vacuum plug that is broken, where a small line goes from the intake manifold to a black connector that has a larger vacuum line going into the head.

Steve

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help. These are the easiest engine to work on. I love the simplicity of them. (B230)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts