Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please would someone tell me where I can find the fuel pump relay switch in my newly purchased 1990 740 GL. We have problems with it stalling, and have been advised to change the relay. That is the most likely cause of the problem. However, I have been searching for the relay the past two hours. All I have for help and guidance is a copy of the Chilton repair manual for Volvos, 90 through 98, all models. Not much specific information on any one particular model, namely the 740 GL. Thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The fuel pump relay is located behind the ashtray in the dash.You might also have to remove the cubby to replace it.To remove the cubby remove the cover for the Cigar lighter by pulling on it.Then remove the 2 screws then the cubby will come out.Careful while pulling it out and make sure you unplug the light so it doesn't break.

If you still continue to have stalling problems also check the engine speed sensor.It is located in the back of the engine.It goes into a bracket at the top of the transmission.If the outer sheilding is cracked or missing replace the sensor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If your car stalls any time it chooses & during running, and it will restart soon after.
Sometime it will stall while crusing & will restart before you stop the car.
You remove he spark plugs to check if they are some what wet.

Then you are having the same problem that I had.

My problem solved after I changed the Ignition Control Unit.
It is located at the front driver side under the air filter unit.
Remove the whole air filter unit and it will expose the ignition control unit underneath mounted on the wall of the wheel cover.
There is a wire set plugging on it.
I've got that replacement part from a local junk yard for $10.

Hope you have the same solution & Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts