Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently replaced rotors and pads all around, now experiencing loud squeal from right rear. System is Bendix, non-ABS. There was no squeal before the brake job, no noise from the other three wheels after the brake job. Any ideas what to try to queit it down. Tried shims and that anti-squeal goop, no help. First pads were regular material, not ceramic, then tried ceramic and it still squeals. Would appreciate any ideas, it's very annoying!

Richie

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Try using Volvo pads they are soft to prevent squeeling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update.....
After placing this post, I replaced the ceramic pads with the semi-metallic, re-gooped the pads and shims (orange CRC stuff), and let it set for over an hour before installing. On the test drive it was quiet for about 2-3 miles then started squealing again. A week later I noticed it had stopped making any noise. Kepping my fingers crossed!

Richie

(I also found some Volvo pads online for back-up)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the same squealing that you used to have. Thanks to you and Tech for the info -- it's annoying, but as long as it's safe I'm not worried.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ceramic pads have the tendancy to squeal. In my opinion ceramics are not needed for regular day to day driving. The optimum temp for ceramics to be working as well as regular pads is much higher. Great for the track and even then you have to be on and off the brakes constantly for them to be of an advantage.

Ironic that people will spend more for ceramic the pads thinking they will stop better and under normal driving they do not actually stop as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts