Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 940 Turbo. All of the sudden, the indicator arrow showing that 4th gear is disengaged goes on by itself. When I try to press the button to engage fourth gear, it doesn't work, the light stays on and the gear stays disengaged. Any advice out there? My mechanic is on vacation until Monday and the car is driving me crazy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! I hope you're right. At least it's not a new transmission! I love this little car!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Slightly off-topic, is there any recommended high/low speed for disengaging 4th gear (overdrive)? I often drop to 3rd to allow engine braking on long, steep hills and was wondering if I could be causing damage to my gearbox?

Sorry to hijack your thread, mkbozz, I love my "little" car also

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just from reading my manual, I think that's the purpose of disengaging 4th, to slow down the vehicle. I don't think you're doing any damage but you should ask someone who really knows!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
That shouldn't be a problem at all as long as you arent doing it going 70 MPH.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Overdrive relays usually develope bad solder joints. The largest connections don't get properly heated by the wave solder process. Look close you may see the cracks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
While under the car check the wiring to the OD Solenoid. Over time the insulation drys out and flakes off. If that happened a bare wire could be shorting out on the transmission case. Usually it is the wire coming from the OD lock out button down to the OD solenoid. If it is shorting out it can and will cook your OD solenoid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts