Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I will start at hte beginning as this is my first time on the forum, hi.

I recently bought a Volvo 440 Turbo 1991 H-reg, I am completely happy with it, it is a completely different car to drive to the 440Li I also own. I believe it is running beautifully but have had a PROBLEM WITH THE SPEEDO. when I bought the car the speedo was on/off, I thought it was the sensor but the computer was calculating the mileage fine - so it wasn't.

I removed the instrument panel and fiddled with the needle and I did feel a small click, i thought i was happy. NO! I reconnected it all very carefully but when I turned the ignition the speedo rose to the top of the chart (ie. Faceing dirrectly UP)
Then smoke came from the speedo.

I thought it was just the speedo or instrument panel, so I looked on ebay and was lucky enough to see someone breaking the exact same model as my car. I asked him if the instrument panel aws working and he said yes and i bought it.

When I fitted this panel the speed did not move at all, it ended up that no matter which instrument panel I fit, nothing happens in the speedo, the rest is fine except the computer can no longer calculate average mileage/speed etc.

I have bought a speed sensor brand new but can't find where to fit it, my local volvo garage isn't even 100% sure. I think it may copy 480 models ?dunno??

One of you guys will fully understand the workings of the speedo/panel etc. and may know what the fault is? I hope so, been trying fore months now

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I don't know the 440's very well We don't have them here in the U.S.
But do you have a picture of the speed sensor.
I might be able to help you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts