Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My current brick, a 1981 244 GLM, has a strange handbrake problem. When ever I want to stop the car from rolling (using handbrake) on a hill that slopes towards the rear of the car (back is lower), the handbrake will not hold, seemingly no matter what I do. I can pull on the handbrake like a ten ton gorilla; almost reef the handle completely out of the car, and it still doesn't hold. Funny things is it works on a forward slope (front lower). I can remember this problem from just about every Volvo I ever drove; they don't want to hold on a backward slope. Can anybody tell if there is a fix, or is the car (in several models) designed not to hold in one direction? I can also remeber that having adjustments done is a very partial fix to this problem; seems it might be design problem ? Thanks for any help. David

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
QUOTE(dedwalker @ Apr 28 2005, 01:08 PM)Hi all,
My current brick, a 1981 244 GLM, has a strange handbrake problem. When ever I want to stop the car from rolling (using handbrake) on a hill that slopes towards the rear of the car (back is lower), the handbrake will not hold, seemingly no matter what I do. I can pull on the handbrake like a ten ton gorilla; almost reef the handle completely out of the car, and it still doesn't hold. Funny things is it works on a forward slope (front lower). I can remember this problem from just about every Volvo I ever drove; they don't want to hold on a backward slope. Can anybody tell if there is a fix, or is the car (in several models) designed not to hold in one direction? I can also remeber that having adjustments done is a very partial fix to this problem; seems it might be design problem ? Thanks for any help. David

[snapback]7276[/snapback]​

well my 76 264 did a handbrake cable the other day so I had to learn one more aspect of Volvo design

the handbrake is built like a Sherman tank and is quality stuff - there is adjustment on the wheels themselves but more so on the console inside the car

do as I did and take out the whole assembly, clean out all the bits of meat pie and hair pins and the seat belt thingos at same time, grease the lot and replace, adjust the screws to balance between sides and to give just 2 clicks [if you were able to pull it so far up it was either fully out of adjustment or more likely as for me one cable was broke so no brake at all
]

after this hour of maintenance enjoyment [all of the time saying I luv my Volvo oh yes I do] the whole lot will work a dream and you will also have replaced those little lights to show where seatbelts go in that you never even knew you had

then have a 6 pak of Silver Bullets [being in NSW and knowing no better] but dont drive till next day

Cheers from the Doctor

·
Registered
45 Posts
parking breaks seem to always work sloping forward... i think thats jus how they are designed and meant to be. to help it Like the Dr. already said take it all out clean it, replace break hardwear if anythings lookin like it could use it and adjust that PARKING break CABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--zak--

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.