Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a problem that I can't seem to find the answer too. I was driving normally, and pulled out into a median waiting to go, as I put my foot down on the gas the car didn't move at all. I had no idea what was going on so I turned the car off and tried restarting it. All I have been getting is constant turning and no start. We took it to a local shop and asked a friend about it and the friend told us the fuel pump could be the problem. We took it to the shop and they put a new fuel pump relay in. After that was put in the car was doing the same thing and tested for an injection pulse and we recieved that from the little thing flashing the lights saying there is a pulse going from it. The mechanics working on it are stumped now and think it is a little problem with the ground or something else. Can anyone give me any insight?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well on a 240 DL I was just given, we found that the ground strap on the impulse sensor (magnetic pickup) in the distributor had broken. Took us quite awhile to find this, but was fairly easy to fix. I peeled a little bit of the tin foil off the top of the sensor and glued it to the tab on the side to extend it to so would touch the distributor housing again. I used a rear window defroster repair kit that has conductive adhesive to make the repair. The adhesive holds very well and is holding up and functioning perfectly. Cost was $10 at Napa for the repair kit. Give this a quick check, it just might solve your problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
QUOTE(Tech @ Oct 5 2005, 08:59 PM)Does your car have an engine speed sensor?
[snapback]16256[/snapback]​

woudl an 86 240 have and engine speed sensor?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I think it does but if you see a wire connector by the flywheel than it has one crankshaft position sensor thats the same as engine speed sensor but that is just for the ignition Computer/Module so check for spark if it wont start first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a similar problem
(I have no car experience and prefer bicycles since I can fix those)

92 240DL died in idle and won't start
no spark at plug, but seems to spark at coil
on-board diagnostics blinks ok (1-1-1), and also ok for accelerator.
does not register speed sensor (when actuated the starter), so I (took hours!) unscrewed the speed sensor bolt and took out (I hope!) the speed sensor - looks like a black plastic cylinder ~1" long and ~1/2" dia. w/ wire coming off - wire housing is shot.

Question: is this my problem? - I am planning to replace the sensor and would like to impress the fiance by actually starting the car!

Also, where to buy?

Thanks! Stuart

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Are you saying you have spark out of the coil but not at the plug? That would suggest a bad cap/rotor or the rotor isn't turning (bad timing belt) ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't know if you got it fixed yet or not. I had similar problem with 88 240. Ran fine wife took it to ariport called when she got back and said car would crank but not start. Thinking it was the cap and rotor which had been the problem before I went to the airport the next day and replaced them, still no start. Reluctantly took it to Volvo Dealer. They called said it was fixed. I expected big bill and they said it only needed new plugs!!! HAs run fine since. Idle is fast but that is another issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts