Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've broken part of one of my keys off in the trunk lock. For a while I was able to open the trunk regardless, but now the lock just won't open anymore. I took it to the dealer (locksmiths refused me any help) and they gave me a quote of about $600!

Yikes!

Is there a cheaper way to get this fixed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hi tromboneguy,

My 240 has a fold down armrest that has access to the trunk (ski pass through), or remove the back seat for access. With 2 or 3 longer 3/8 extensions taped together, and a 10 mm (3/8 or whatever it is) socket taped on, take out the two bolts that you can see ...(flashlight)... centered on the back panel of the trunk. The striker should pop out of place when you lift the trunk lid. For $600.00, I'd give it a try.

Good luck!

Icebrick

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
good thinking IceBrick - I was always intending to use that slot for my skis but having moved way up north no more trips to ski areas

another possible way is a fine drill and tap set to get the broken key piece out - I am surprised the locksmiths cant help as surely they would need to do this all the time - in fact at my post office the ladies behind the counter remove broken keys themselves from the post office private boxes

1 - 3 of 3 Posts