Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

I'm a newbie here and this is my first post so go easy on me

I'm driving my dad's 1989 Volvo 240 GL. It's using a B230K engine and of late has been acting really cranky. Sometimes when driving the power levels fluctuate, and it feels like the engine isn't receiving any input from the accelerator. Usually after about 15 seconds of this the car stalls and then takes from anywhere between 5-15 minutes to start again. Using the choke doesn't help and neither does flooring or not flooring the accelerator while turning the key. At first the problem only occured when the tank was near E but now it occurs even with a full tank. Could it possibly be a problem with the in-tank fuel pump or something else like the carburetor? My knowledge is rather limited and I'd appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks alot!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Sounds like a problem with the fuel system.I would check the fuel pump relay first then the fuel pump.I am not firmiliar with the B230K but I am assuming iy is a gas engine.I would also check your engine speed sensor located where the transmission meets the engine.It is on the top of where the engine and trans meet.If the outside sheilding is cracked at all replace the sensor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Tech thanks for the reply. Yeah am waiting for the weekend to be over so I can send it to the Volvo service centre and get it checked out. And yes the B230K is a gas engine with a Solex-CISAC carburettor. I wouldn't recommend anyone get one though 'cos its been pretty problematic since we've had it. Hopefully it will be all better after Monday.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It had to be towed in the end, just couldn't get it started. It's with the Vovlo people now......but no word from them yet. Might drop in on them in the arvo see how its going.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car's back; the guys at Volvo said the carburettor was blocked and had to be cleaned out and they changed the spark plugs and retuned the engine. The car works but the consumption has risen quite a bit. They said that they had to do it that way because that was the only way to get the engine to start. Should i get it retuned or leave it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The same thing happend to me but it was just the mass air flow sencor. I normaly do all my own work but this had me stumped I change all filters {gas and air} plugs then I finally took it in for service they tlod me it was the mass air flow sencor.[said very common for them]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts