Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive just got hold of a 1992 240se estate with the 2.3i engine. the only problem with the car is that the starter motor is on the way out. i was told that to change it the clutch an gearbox have to come out. is this true? ALso does anyone know what tools will be needed for the job. cheers.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I dont think you have to remove anything to replace the starter.It should be a 17mm or 19mm socket to remove the starter and a 13mm to remove the power wire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers very much tech, the clutch and gearbox thing was the advice of our local volvo dealer. probably trying to con more money out of us!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I used to have an 1981 240 stick and had the starter changed out in 20 min.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool cool. ive found a used starter for £40 including postage so ill let you know how i get on. apparently the reson for removing the clutch was to clean dust caused by it in turn causin problems with the starter. once im finished this term at uni ill get a good look at it and sort it out. cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Step by step Volvo starter removal
1.) Disconnect the car battery completely
2.) Get the front tires up on stands so you can crawl underneath.
3.) Locate the starter (Lower left side of engine)
4.) Disconnect Power and ground cables from starter
5.) Make sure you have a ½ drive ratchet set (two ten inch extension are necessary [especially with the 240 models).
6.) Next you need to remove the two bolt which face the rear of the car out of the starter
a. Accessing the bolts may be difficult as the transmission may impede direct access.
b. Hook your ½ breaking bar to both your 10" extensions (20" in total)
c. Remove the cross brace that holds the transmission, allowing the transmission to drop a few inches (hold transmission from falling too far with a few blocks of wood)
d. Now you will have better access to remove bolts.
Install starter-> hook up bolts->hook up starter power and ground wires hook up battery (assure it is a charged battery) = Job Done!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts