Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All - my '88 240DL has recently had a hard time starting in the rain - the heavier the rain, the more inclined it is to not turn over. I am no expert at all, but I know a little about cars and this just seems unlikely. Today - I could not get it to start at all.

Should I get it to start it will run roughly and stall out for the first leg of the journey.

Am I crazy? I now park on a busy road, wondering if spashing has something to do with it, although the battery is fine & it will crank all day if I choose...

I appreciate your input.

Kenny

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Check the engine harness and lok for bare wires.If you find any tape them up.Then you could use WD-40 and spray around the area.It will help as a sealer.Then see if it is any better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You have an injection engine?

If the harness is fine, all connections good?

You have a spark? if no check where your spark is hiding off

If yes check if the gas gets through to engine. If you have both, the engine must cough!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds definately electrical. I would immediately suspect ignition as the culprit but it could be a part of the wiring harness is getting soaked by a leak down the firewall into a connector or some such.

Check the distributor cap and distributor for moisture. When air cools in a high humidity area (after the car is driven and shut off) moisture can drop out of the air and give you liquid water inside the cap. Electronic ignitions and FI systems don't like water at all as they run on small voltages being sent back and forth to the control systems (computer). Even a little bit of moisture in the wrong place can cause havoc.

If the distributor looks dry then check all the major harness connectors and if it seems like the area around them is wet pull the connector apart and blow it dry with whatever means you have. A hair dryer will work in a pinch.

The fact that it cranks well pretty much eliminates the battery, starter etc.. Still, take a look at the fuse box, the small power cables around the battery, and the computer for corrosion and moisture.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The later 240 were either Gl or Dl for the fuel injected models.

·
Registered
74 Posts
For further clarification, DL is De Lux an GL is Gran Lux and has nothing to do with "Diesel". Normally they will say Diesel if it has a Diesel engine.. same with Mercedes.

Greg

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same problem on my 89 240DL. On rainy days it wouldn't start and if it did it ran rough. It was a cracked distributer cap. Changed the cap and fixed the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts