Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my 240 timming was just dont it was off by 180 degrees by the cam shaft and that was fixed and it has all new wires and spark plugs and a new cap and timming belt and and the oil was changed and a new fliud and new trans fliter and new exhaust from manifold back and new mass air flow cesnor and it has a new fuel pump and and filter and vaulve cover gasket on it ans the engingine fires but will not kick over any suggetsion on why it will not turn over ..the fuel gets to the injetors like it is suppose to and the spark plugs get spark ............now i am a single mom doing the repairs myself so any help you can give me i will be grateful and i am on a fixed in come so taking it to a shop is out out of the queastion since they want all the payment up front can you please help me figure out what else to to to this to make it run thanks so much ...........you can e-mail me to if u like at [email protected] thanks a bunch for your time

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you but would the engine still rotate if it it is the coil is bad ??????? but i will get another coil for it? any other suggetions if that is not it not it besides the junk yard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you but would the engine still rotate if it it is the coil is bad ??????? but i will get another coil for it? any other suggetions if that is not it not it besides the junk yard

·
Registered
7 Posts
yes your engine can rotate if the coil is bad.
this is what you can do.
1) remove dist cap from dist and crank motor what your checking here is if the dist rotor is turning it should turn while engine is cranking. if not you have a mechanical problem.
2)take the coil wire off of the dist and hold it close to something grounded like a screw or bolt or nut. (DONT HOLD IT NEAR CARB OR ANY FUEL SORCE!) have someone crank engine over, if you get a spark your coil is ok and your problem might be a timming problem. if you get no spark check coil for 12 volts at one terminal with the key on with a volt meter. you don't have to crank to do this check. if you got 12 volts on one terminal you need to find what tell the coil to fire. since i dont know volvos to good i can't tell you what happens to make the coil signal. someone else will have to do that. If you get no spark and have 12 volts at coil. you are going to have either a bad coil, wiring to coil, whatever sensor or points or ignition module that fires coil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
oh yea even if you have spark and plugs are firing if the spark plug wires are not put in the proper firing order , car will not run. if dist or dist rotor are not on correctly ift wont run. and even if you have fuel to injectors if they aren't firing no fuel will go past that point. which means you can have spark at the plug and timming is correct but no fuel no run. i have a tool that check injectors to see if they fire ... i know this dont help you none but your fuel pump can pump fuel to the injectors but if injectors dont fire nothing is going to happen. have you checked all your fuses to see if any is blown. and one last question when your timming was off 180 degrees what happened their. ask if this motor you have is a free spin motor. what this means if your motor is above 1000rpm's or more and your timming belt breaks their a good chance the valve hit the pistons and you are going to have major engine problems

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
When you did the timing belt you didn't go only by the timing marks on the pulley and the cover did you?

If so you might need to redo it.
The engine is not a 0 tollerance motor.Which means it will not bend Valves if it breaks while driving.

Also like stated you need to check for injector pulse.Unplug one of the plugs for the injector.First with the key on check for power.You should have power with just the key one.The Pulse comes from ground.You can make a light that can be plugged into the injector plug and check for pulse.Or you can use a test light and test.But you will need to ground it in the plug.If you have pulse the light will blink dim.Because it is low Voltage.

If you have no pulse look at the back of the engine where the trans meets the engine.There is a sensor that bolts into the top there.That is the engine speed sensor.That tells the computer when to make the injectors pulse.

Try that and let us know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok i checked the plugs and no llight but when u go to try and start the car and the engine rotates u can smell gas y is that................is there a diagram that shows u where that sensor is ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
i think sensor is located right behind the motor at the top of the bell housing where transmision bolts to engine. sensor is a device that when the flywheel turns over. knows when to fire coil. if you had valve cover replaced the wiring for the sensor comes up the back of the motor and connects to the wiring harness, at the firewall right behind and above valve cover. check connection there ... on my car it's a square plug that has a little metal keeper that you press down to get connector apart ...
good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts