Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC 60 T8 Recharge
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi... I've got a new 2022 XC 60 T8 Recharge Inscription that I picked up on 1/11/22, so had it about 10 days now. I don't yet have my home charger situation squared so I've been charging it at Chargepoint charger in town when I go in to run errands and go for a walk to get some exercise. Charging sessions are typically 1.5 - 2.5 hours. Distance into town is about 4 miles with some slight rolling hills - speed limit is 35.

What I'm seeing is dramatic draining of the battery and wondering if this is normal or something is wrong with this new vehicle. The images below illustrate the problem:

Product World Line Font Technology

Notice the battery meter is at about 80% after charging for ~2.5 hours in town, and shows 18 miles of range. But after driving for just about 15 minutes and 4.3 miles, it is down about 30% and shows 9 miles of range - i.e. driving 4.3 miles "used" 9 miles of battery range.

The drive was done in Hybrid mode, not Pure mode.

What this feels like to me is as if I'd charged my phone to 80% and then an hour later it's down to 50% - that would not be normal and would indicate some problem with the battery or I have something running on the phone that shouldn't be. I'm not looking for precision here, but this is a pretty drastic draining behavior. I bought the XC60 because most of my trips are short errands into town like this and so I had hoped I'd usually be running on battery - this makes me question that.

I guess question is do others see similar results? Should I go back to the dealer I leased this from to have them troubleshoot?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi... I've got a new 2022 XC 60 T8 Recharge Inscription that I picked up on 1/11/22, so had it about 10 days now. I don't yet have my home charger situation squared so I've been charging it at Chargepoint charger in town when I go in to run errands and go for a walk to get some exercise. Charging sessions are typically 1.5 - 2.5 hours. Distance into town is about 4 miles with some slight rolling hills - speed limit is 35.

What I'm seeing is dramatic draining of the battery and wondering if this is normal or something is wrong with this new vehicle. The images below illustrate the problem:

View attachment 19013

Notice the battery meter is at about 80% after charging for ~2.5 hours in town, and shows 18 miles of range. But after driving for just about 15 minutes and 4.3 miles, it is down about 30% and shows 9 miles of range - i.e. driving 4.3 miles "used" 9 miles of battery range.

The drive was done in Hybrid mode, not Pure mode.

What this feels like to me is as if I'd charged my phone to 80% and then an hour later it's down to 50% - that would not be normal and would indicate some problem with the battery or I have something running on the phone that shouldn't be. I'm not looking for precision here, but this is a pretty drastic draining behavior. I bought the XC60 because most of my trips are short errands into town like this and so I had hoped I'd usually be running on battery - this makes me question that.

I guess question is do others see similar results? Should I go back to the dealer I leased this from to have them troubleshoot?
Hello
  • what outside temperature did you have?
  • do you have an electric heater or a petrol Webasto?
I had a XC60 T8 with Webasto and it used in cold weather 1-2 l/100 km petrol but not much electricity. In cold weather the range was 80-90% of the range estimate. Also in cold weather the estimate is lower than in normal temperature.
In my new 2022 XC60 T6 I have a 5 kW electric heater. It means it drains the battery in cold weather up to 5 kWh in one hour. So at -10 Celsius my range is only about 60% of the first estimate at starting.
Additional electric items like lights, seat heaters etc. drop your range further.

·
Registered
2022 XC 60 T8 Recharge
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... I live in the Pacific NW of the US, where a "cold" day is probably 28 or 30 degrees Fahrenheit, i.e. about -2 C. Normal days here are in the 40s, i.e. 4-5 degrees C. So not sure the cold is what's happening but good point that other things drain it.

·
Registered
2022 XC 60 T8 Recharge
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couple of things...

1. I did a long road trip earlier this month and posted a report on that.
  2. Bottom line is that I think the estimate of battery range is pretty dynamic and a bit optimistic.
  3. BTW, the same is true of gas range - after I fill up the car and start driving off, it's not uncommon to see a fuel range of 500 or 600 miles. That's down to 380-400 pretty quickly. So I think what's probably happening here is that the software is looking at dynamic fuel consumption against a measure of what's in the tank and making an estimate of miles left. That obviously changes very dynamically depending on how fast you are driving, wind, stop and go, etc. I think the same is true of the battery.
So.. I guess I've just learned to live with it. I'm having a home charger put in and that will help since I will always leave the house 100% charged. I'll try to update after that is put in a couple of weeks (try to find an electrician these days...)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Couple of things...

1. I did a long road trip earlier this month and posted a report on that.
  2. Bottom line is that I think the estimate of battery range is pretty dynamic and a bit optimistic.
  3. BTW, the same is true of gas range - after I fill up the car and start driving off, it's not uncommon to see a fuel range of 500 or 600 miles. That's down to 380-400 pretty quickly. So I think what's probably happening here is that the software is looking at dynamic fuel consumption against a measure of what's in the tank and making an estimate of miles left. That obviously changes very dynamically depending on how fast you are driving, wind, stop and go, etc. I think the same is true of the battery.
So.. I guess I've just learned to live with it. I'm having a home charger put in and that will help since I will always leave the house 100% charged. I'll try to update after that is put in a couple of weeks (try to find an electrician these days...)
I have a XC60 T8. I to find the hybrid mode uses up the "juice" fast. Try running in Pure mode only and see how that changes the estimated range left. Then do a trip in Pure mode and turn your fan to OFF (and put your woolies on!). You'll see a noticeable increase in range if the outside temp is below your inside temp setting. I live in SoCal, where a cold morning is like 50F. Big difference in range driving Pure with heater on vs. off on those mornings.

Yeah, the gas range estimate is crap. They should just change it to gal and let the driver figure out their range based on their driving habits (OK, I've been driving 80mph for the last hour and have used 2.5gal and have 2 gal left - need to gas up soon!)

edit - BTW , I'm using the Volvo charger that came with the car, but running on [email protected] (NEMA 6-20 socket). Its basically Level 2 and will charge to 100% in ~3.5hours. Only thing its missing is a timer - so had to get one of those from Amazon. Even at 120V it will charge overnight no problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts