Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I live in New Zealand and just purchased my first XC60 imported from Japan. I love the car but confused as to why there is no spare wheel as the 'moulding' on the trunk carpet is there along with the polystyrene tool kit holder ( minus the toolkit ). I have the 'tyre repair kit' supplied by the dealer which I'm not overly enthused about, so any ideas ?? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
generally the reasoning behind this policy is to reduce the weight of the vehicle, this assists in the fuel consumption and emissions figures, it used to be that a lightweight emergency tyre was installed, that you could ue in an emergency as a spare with limits upon the speed you travelled, but recently it seems they have just gone with a policy of a can of sealant (please note that all car manufacturers seem to think this is ok nowadays. One would have thought that as a potential off roader the XC range would come with a full size spare as standard, but it seems that fuel economy and emissions are the bigger driver for car manufacturers nowadays.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
generally the reasoning behind this policy is to reduce the weight of the vehicle, this assists in the fuel consumption and emissions figures, it used to be that a lightweight emergency tyre was installed, that you could ue in an emergency as a spare with limits upon the speed you travelled, but recently it seems they have just gone with a policy of a can of sealant (please note that all car manufacturers seem to think this is ok nowadays. One would have thought that as a potential off roader the XC range would come with a full size spare as standard, but it seems that fuel economy and emissions are the bigger driver for car manufacturers nowadays.
Thank you ,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts