Volvo Owners Forum banner

2012 S60-r Premium Audio

5K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  tdey1618 
#1 ·
Hello, I am new to this forum.

I just purchased a brand new Volvo S60 R-Design last week and have been driving it for the last few days. Needless to say, it's the best car I've ever personally owned, inside and out.

I am no stranger to Volvo's; my previous car was a 2002 S60-AWD.

Now, my only disappointment is regarding the Premium Audio system with the 2012. The controls and interface of the system itself is great. The actual sound quality is decent, BUT the volume output is simply NOT LOUD ENOUGH. It could be acoustics, but even while sitting in silence in the car it's not loud as I expect.

My 2002-S60 had the most impressive sound system I've ever heard, even though I may be biased, but I can safely say that while sitting in the car with the engine off if I turned the volume as far as I could with the 2002, my ears would not be able to handle it. When I try the similar thing with the 2012 it's loud, but not deafening loud.

I do not remember the wattage of the 2002 system, but the 650 watts/12 speakers in the 2012 should be louder right? Not to mention the $3000 package it entails.

Trust me, I am not taking this great car for granted, but the stereo system is one of the most important things to the experience for me and I'm thinking it's got to be better.

Unless I have gone deaf over the last few days. I'm a musician and pro mix engineer amongst other things so I have a good sense of sound and volume and my ENT says my ears are fine so?

I would really appreciate some insight on this, or your own experiences, thoughts. What can I do? Is there a way to have access to the amplifier? Where is it located?

I wouldn't want to mess with the actual system, but I wouldn't mind swapping in a better amp for more volume or taking any other suggestions..

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.