Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, For some reason I cannot close my Sunroof/Moonroof, whichever one you want to call it. It opened fine in the vent position (not fully open) and after I drove home from work last night I couldn't get it to close. This morning I checked the fuses and they are good, and of course my dealership's service department is closed today for the holidays. Does anyone know of a way to close it manually, or reset something to get it to close on its own. Any help would be appreciated, as I am praying for it not to rain over the next two days.

·
Super Moderator
1,854 Posts
there should be a manual winder under the panel with the switches (if that is in the roof) or under a panel at the front edge of the sunroof, there may be a big screwdriver type slot or a nut to turn.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (grendel1960 @ Nov 26 2016, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>there should be a manual winder under the panel with the switches (if that is in the roof) or under a panel at the front edge of the sunroof, there may be a big screwdriver type slot or a nut to turn.

Not seeing any such "Winder", unless it is under the actual switch that controls the moonroof? Any help would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
QUOTE (batz38 @ Nov 26 2016, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not seeing any such "Winder", unless it is under the actual switch that controls the moonroof? Any help would be appreciated
as glendel remove the switch panel to get to it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Surprisingly I noticed the handbook does not mention any way of operating the sunroof manually in the event of an electrical failure. There are sensors that will stop the sunroof closing if they detect an obstruction or resistance so something may have gotten into the mechanism to jam it. Suggest trying to have a good look under the sunroof to see if something is there that shouldn't be. Also try jiggling the mechanism that can be reached to see if you can free it up.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There is no way to manually close the roof hatch other than pulling off the overhead lighting panel (just clips in) removing the roof hatch motor (3 Torx 20 screws) and then using 2 blade screwdrivers push the 2 visible cables in opposite directions till you lower the hatch to closed position. You may find that when you remove the roof hatch motor that the drive gear is split in two pieces which is not uncommon at the vehicles age. If the gear is broken you have to buy the whole motor unit ... no spare parts available.

Volvo Expert Tech
37 years exp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is no way to manually close the roof hatch other than pulling off the overhead lighting panel (just clips in) removing the roof hatch motor (3 Torx 20 screws) and then using 2 blade screwdrivers push the 2 visible cables in opposite directions till you lower the hatch to closed position. You may find that when you remove the roof hatch motor that the drive gear is split in two pieces which is not uncommon at the vehicles age. If the gear is broken you have to buy the whole motor unit ... no spare parts available.

Volvo Expert Tech
37 years exp.
Spot on… thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts