Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2007 XC90 and there is some issue where the car locks itself. It happens when the key is not in the ignition. I'll get out of the car and without pushing anything on the key fab it will lock. Then it will not unlock unless you hit lock, then unlock.

It happens all the time....Sometimes 30 minutes to an hour after getting out of the car and parking it in our garage. We rarely lock the car in our garage but we almost always find it locked.

Some observations....

- Seems to happen more often in the cold
- Seems to be an issue with the car (educated guess) and not the key as it locks itself even when the key is completely out of range

Thanks in Advance to anyone that has any ideas, guesses or things to try to narrow down the problem!

-Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you push the unlock button on the remote, but don't open the door, it will automatically relock after about 5 minutes. Are you sure it's not this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
QUOTE (larry818 @ Mar 28 2013, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you push the unlock button on the remote, but don't open the door, it will automatically relock after about 5 minutes. Are you sure it's not this?

Yes that is correct mine does that

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2007 XC90 also keeps locking BY ITSELF:
Symptoms:
I pulled up to refuel, engine NOT running with the key in the ignition. I exit the vehicle and close the door. The DOOR LOCKED ITSELF.
This morning, I was being kind to my spouse and offered to warm up the car on a cold morning. I unlock the car with the key in the door, remove the key from the door, lean in, start the car, close the door. Within 2 seconds of closing the door, I WATCHED IT LOCK BY ITSELF. Key in, Engine Running. This is troubling.
The car has locked itself at least 10 times in 6 years of owning it.

In another post, I read something about a failed Open Door Actuator? Do you think it applies here?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Seems intelligence is measured on a circular scale. If you go too far in the "smart" direction you end up back at stupid.

I know, not much help, but sometimes you just have to vent...

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
QUOTE (TedRing @ Apr 13 2018, 08:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My 2007 XC90 also keeps locking BY ITSELF:
Symptoms:
I pulled up to refuel, engine NOT running with the key in the ignition. I exit the vehicle and close the door. The DOOR LOCKED ITSELF.
This morning, I was being kind to my spouse and offered to warm up the car on a cold morning. I unlock the car with the key in the door, remove the key from the door, lean in, start the car, close the door. Within 2 seconds of closing the door, I WATCHED IT LOCK BY ITSELF. Key in, Engine Running. This is troubling.
The car has locked itself at least 10 times in 6 years of owning it.

In another post, I read something about a failed Open Door Actuator? Do you think it applies here?
change your central locking relay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2007 XC90 and there is some issue where the car locks itself. It happens when the key is not in the ignition. I'll get out of the car and without pushing anything on the key fab it will lock. Then it will not unlock unless you hit lock, then unlock.

It happens all the time....Sometimes 30 minutes to an hour after getting out of the car and parking it in our garage. We rarely lock the car in our garage but we almost always find it locked.

Some observations....

• Seems to happen more often in the cold
  • Seems to be an issue with the car (educated guess) and not the key as it locks itself even when the key is completely out of range

Thanks in Advance to anyone that has any ideas, guesses or things to try to narrow down the problem!

-Jeff

Some observations....

• Seems to happen more often in the cold
  • Seems to be an issue with the car (educated guess) and not the key as it locks itself even when the key is completely out of range

-Jeff
I’ve owned an 07 XC70 for about 2 weeks. I pulled into the drive with a new air filter to install, popped the hood with engine running, got out, and the car locked itself. With this 07 the key must be in the ignition; it’s one of those big “switchblade” keys built into a remote. Fortunately this was home where I had a spare key. Not happy at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts