Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S80 4.4 awd
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning light on dashboard indicated right front headlamp out. Repair shop removed and replaced original component with new component. Internal inspection of light assembly revealed missing insulation(photos attached) on wiring harness causing a short circuit which also ruined the headlight igniter and control module. Shop stated that this issue is NOT uncommon with Volvo lighting systems. The current concern is the same condition is present in the left(driver) headlight and could cause a short and fire within the headlight assembly. Correspondence with Volvo resulted in no resolution of the issue and lack of concern for the reliability of installed components or possible safety concern for their product. Anyone else have this issue and was it resolved by Volvo? Customer care has basically told me "Too Bad. Sorry we can't resolve this for you." So, currently filing an NHTSA report of a safety concern.
Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Rim

Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Cable
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Cable Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design
Hood Train Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire
Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper
Gas Machine Camera accessory Wire Heat-shrink tubing
Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire
Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Rim
Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior Cable

Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire

Gas Machine Camera accessory Wire Heat-shrink tubing

Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design

Hood Train Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Cable Gas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wait. Did I understand correctly that the lack of insulation was a problem with the car from the beginning? I only had problems with the headlights if I forgot to insulate the wires properly. Volvo's lighting is going to hell. I changed all possible lighting: from the headlights to the original light bulbs in the car. Your story about the response of technical supporters doesn't surprise me either. They seem to have decided to stop paying attention to their customers. But that's just their problem. Don't be surprised when their regular customer's next car is a Mustang lol.

·
Registered
2007 S80 4.4 awd
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wait. Did I understand correctly that the lack of insulation was a problem with the car from the beginning?
No. Just poor quality material used in harness from whoever was sub contracted the headlight build. Massive degradation over time leading to the failure. Volvo basically blew it off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts