Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am a new member here. I've owned my S40 for a little over a month now and I want to start modifying it...with the little parts they make right now. Anyway, does anyone know how to get the stock shift knob off in order to replace it with a nicer looking one, probably from Sparco. If anyone could give me some insight, that would be nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've read on other forums that the shifter comes off like a medicine bottle...IE you push down and turn(90 degrees) and that should release the knob. Not having done this myself I can't be 100% sure but as I've said there have been a few posts where people have had success with this method. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
After reading GREGGER's post and the other forums on the topic, I just tried to install a MOMO aftermarket shiftknob on the new 2005 VOLVO T5. The old shift knob came off pretty easy as I just pushed down firmly and then twisted 90 degrees. However, I was unable to install the knob because there is a pin-like object located at the top of the shifter which interferes with securing the knob. Is there a way to take this pin out of the shifter?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok guys, here is the scoop. To get the shift knob off you pull straight up. There are two pins on the shaft keeping the knob from rotating. If you want to install an aftermarket knob (i.e. MOMO like I did) you have to file the two pins off. The aftermarket securing screws will provide plenty of grip to keep the knob from rotating.

As for the boot, you have to GENTLY squeeze the sides and lift from the front (closest to stereo) to the back (towards the cupholders). There retaining edges on the sides and "back" of the boot. Again, be gentle or you will break the retaining ring.

Lift the boot up and remove the electrical tape securing the upper retaining ring. Keep the upper ring as you will need it to re-secure the boot to the shaft. After tweaking and playing with the boot you can easily figure out how to secure the boot while retaining a good look (fold excess boot material towards the stereo to be out of sight).

I will post photos of what mine looks like after the installation.

Cheers,

Joshua
2006 S40 T5 FWD (Black)
Dynamic Pkg
Audio Pkg
Evolve Chip
19" HRE wheels on the way

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.