Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Here is a mod to do for the new S40 / V50. You can add the right (passenger) side rear fog light bulb in about 10 minutes. First remove the light cover in the trunk and push both tabs on the white plastic piece to pull the bulbs out of the rear light. All of the bulbs are on the same white plastic assembly. When you have this removed you will see the holes where the bulbs came out of. One of these holes (at the bottom) will still have a black piece of plastic covering it. I used a pair of needle nose plyers to remove that and it came off easily. Be sure not to drop it into the tail light. Simply put a P21W bulb in the empty socket on the white assembly and replace everything.

Now ... After I did this, the bulb worked for a few minutes then quit. I checked with a multimeter and there is now juice to the socket. I dont have any blown fuses and cannot figure out why this would work for a few minutes then stop. Would the ECM recognize the light? There is so little out there on the new S40 that I am at a loss.

Here is the legal disclaimer...Make sure it is legal to do this in your area...

Attachments

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Just be careful I have heard of people getting pulled over and getting a ticket for taillights to bright.Even though it was legal in that area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (niko05 @ Apr 18 2005, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here is a mod to do for the new S40 / V50. You can add the right (passenger) side rear fog light bulb in about 10 minutes. First remove the light cover in the trunk and push both tabs on the white plastic piece to pull the bulbs out of the rear light. All of the bulbs are on the same white plastic assembly. When you have this removed you will see the holes where the bulbs came out of. One of these holes (at the bottom) will still have a black piece of plastic covering it. I used a pair of needle nose plyers to remove that and it came off easily. Be sure not to drop it into the tail light. Simply put a P21W bulb in the empty socket on the white assembly and replace everything.

Now ... After I did this, the bulb worked for a few minutes then quit. I checked with a multimeter and there is now juice to the socket. I dont have any blown fuses and cannot figure out why this would work for a few minutes then stop. Would the ECM recognize the light? There is so little out there on the new S40 that I am at a loss.

Here is the legal disclaimer...Make sure it is legal to do this in your area...

So You figured out how to make it work?
I tried this time ago and noticed about the juice not going to that bulb, found any solution?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have successfully done this mod on my S40 (UK Model) I removed the plastic covering the opening to the light cluster and added a bulb, but I found the bulb would not work at all. I had a look at the board the bulbs fit in with a metre and found no power was being supplied to the bulb. So I traced the track on the board and I found there was no cable in the connector block supplying power for the fog light. I had to run a cable from the other rear fog light to supply power to the bulb. This works 100% for me, no problems, no bulb failure error messages.

·
Registered
442 Posts
In the USA & most other countries it is still legal to have two rear fog lights. However, some countries are limiting the rear fog light to one only on the driver's side to differentiate it from the brake lights. In some countries also it is an infringement of traffic regulations to have fog lights turned on when there is no limitation to visibility ($160 fine here in Australia, for example), so be careful with indiscriminate use of fog lights.

I have driven in very foggy conditions in Europe and noticed many drivers there flashed their hazard lights for a few seconds when slowing up ahead in the fog to alert following cars, which seemed to work very well. Nevertheless nothing can replace extreme caution in such conditions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts