Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a noise coming from the transmission when I go from Park to Reverse. It is something like a clunk as it engages. Took car to Volvo and Mechanic told me that all make the same noise.Any one have the same problem?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have the 5 speed but I do notice that when I put the car in reverse it does "thunk" a bit. Louder than other 5 speeds that I have had.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you found a cause or solution to the clunk sound in your car?

I have a '06 S40 w/auto transmission. Whenever I put the car in reverse and back up, I hear a loud clunk/creak sound. It also happens if I've backed up the car, and then move it forward. The sound is loudest when I back the car up a small incline. In most cases, this sound usually happens once, any time I change the direction of the car.

The Volvo dealer listened to it, and claims that the brake calipers (or something that holds them in place) are making this sound, and the only fix is to replace them. The pads don't need to be replaced yet, so they said to live with the sound until the brakes need changing.

The sound seems to be getting louder, but maybe I'm just listening for it. Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has experienced this, or has suggestions. If this is the sign of a potential problem, I want to catch it before it gets worse.

cheers, Dave

QUOTE (Pulliamnate @ Jul 13 2005, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a noise coming from the transmission when I go from Park to Reverse. It is something like a clunk as it engages. Took car to Volvo and Mechanic told me that all make the same noise.Any one have the same problem?

·
Registered
18 Posts
brake caliper? o_O um well i cant see the car or hear the noise but what you're describing sounds like it has nothing to do with that.... sounds to me like you're looking at differential/transfer case gear clearance/play issues. too much clearance can cause a clunk on engagement when switching from the drive side to coast side of the gear face. If not that then possibly axle shaft spline clearance or if your car is AWD then play in the drive shaft.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts