Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this V70 three weeks ago. Third time to fill it up yesterday. I pressed the fuel door button. When I went to open the unlatched fuel door it popped off and was dangling from the side of the car by the filler cap. I was able to set it back in and it is now locked. I cant figure out the hinge mechanism. I don't know if a piece is missing or if the pin just snaps and I am not lining it up correctly. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The plastic hinges break.

You will have to buy a new one and install it.

It is very easy to install.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New user here.
The same thing happened to me day. I just bought the car last week.
2002 Volvo XC70
Where can you buy a rplacmen fuel door hinge online?
thanks

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Not sure if you can buy online but the dealer has them for like $15.00 last time I knew.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same thing happened to my wife's car last week.

I'd be interested to know if anyone finds out where to order one... I'm looking around myself, and will do the same.

Also looking for a upper-left (driver) tail light for the V70 (2002) ... wife backed into the mail box.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My fuel door color does not seem to match the rest of my vehicle's Moondust. The color on the fuel door is a much lighter shade. I am considering removing it and having it repainted. Is there something that I should be made aware of when removing the fuel door, or is it pretty straightforward? I don't want to go breaking off the hinge due to my inexperience.

@Tech,

I am currently missing a small part that covers the emergency tow connector on the rear passenger side. Currently there is a small hole in my rear bumper cover that shows the threaded hole where the tow connector screws into.

Do you happen to know what that part is called? I assume the best place is to call the salvage yard or the dealerships.

TIA!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Most likely to get the door off you will have to break the hinge.
You can tap the pins in but then you will have to find new pins and no one sells them.

I always called it the rear tow hook cover and the parts dept knew what I wanted.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(rimfman @ Aug 19 2005, 08:57 PM)When I went to open the unlatched fuel door it popped off and was dangling from the side of the car by the filler cap.
[snapback]13806[/snapback]​

Dang, if it's not frustrating, it's EMBARRASSING...

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(nonturbo @ Sep 13 2005, 07:59 AM)
Also looking for a upper-left (driver) tail light for the V70 (2002) ... wife backed into the mail box.
[snapback]15193[/snapback]​

Ah!

If you want to continue to sleep in the same bed, in the same house, SAY NO MORE, dude!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your best bet to acquire the fuel door hinge is to go to a Volvo dealer. Breaking fuel door hinges are a common Volvo problem; so common that when I asked for the replacement part at the parts counter, the clerk simply pulled it out of a drawer by the register. To install you need a small mallet hammer to hammer in the sealing pins, (BE CAREFUL, they're fragile). The part itself does not snap in. Moreover, when you buy the part, make sure all sealing pins are attacthed. I had some trouble attaching my fuel door on AFTER mounting hinge. It suppose it could be done by first attaching fuel door to hinge THEN hammering hinge pins in. I dunno, I attached hinge then the door-- it was a little bit of a struggle, I almost scratched the paint. It has to be said! Volvo should fix this issue on future models

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Thanks for your update!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, this is my first post...thanks in advance for any advice!
My problem is this: the fuel filler door on my 2001 V70 fell off yesterday. I swear I didn't force it! :)
Looks like part of the plastic hinge has broken off. I have found a replacement hinge on-line and I understand that it may be easy to install, but how do I remove the damaged hinge?
Should I attach the door to the hinge before I install it? Or install the hinge and then attach the door?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The fuel door falls off! According to the dealer, this is common. He said I was lucky it didn't fall off while driving since it would cost $150 to replace it. Of course since it fell to the ground while fueling I had the door (in hand) but the locking stem broke still forcing a new door to be purchased.

That and MANY other extra repairs= the worst new car I have ever purchased

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed one of these hinges yesterday.
It's a little harder to do than it may at first appear.
Here's the procedure I followed:

1. Pry off the old hinge from the body of the car, using a flat screwdriver.
The hinge is held in the body with 4 plastic rivets. If any of these remain in the body after you pry the hinge off, just push them through the holes with a nail, pen, small screwdriver, or some such.

2. Attach the new hinge on the door BEFORE installing the whole assembly on the body. First,
examine the parts until you understand how they should be aligned (for the rivets to go into the 4 holes in the body.) Notice the 4 plastic posts that jut out from the hinge opposite the rivets; take care not to knock them off in the rest of this procedure (put some white paper or something under your work area so they are easy to find if they do fall off). Line up the long, cupped edge of the hinge (the hinge socket) with the metal rod (the hinge pin) on the door. Play with the positioning first, and observe closely, to figure out the best angle of approach such that the socket goes in without breaking. You'll need to use some force to push the hinge down and in until the socket fits over the pin. You might want to run the hinge under hot water first to make it a little more pliable, because it will require a pretty firm push. Once it's in, you'll swing the metal spring around and push/pull it into position to engage in the slots/keepers that hold its center section on the hinge body. Now you're done attaching hinge & door.

3. Once hinge & door are assembled, fit the 4 rivets over the holes in the body. Using a small hammer, drive the rivets down until they're about flush with the hinge surface (which will spread the rivets out at the opposite side). You may need to use a nail set, or a nail with the point flattened, to drive in the 2 center rivets.

Now you're done. Unless, that is, you are motivated to sit down and write a letter to Volvo describing the experience you've just shared with so many of their customers. I suggest you first complement them on the clever way the fuel door breaks away cleanly without denting your expensive car. Then ask them why it is taking their excellent engineers so long to come up with an improvement to this jackass design.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need a reality check to see if I am having a senior moment. I just went to my Volvo dealer top have the hing replaced. I think that I remember that the door used to flip open when the interior button on the dash was pushed. It does'nt do that now. Am I misremembering? The service manager assures me that pushing the button only unlocks the door by moving the solenoid, but that it isn't spring loaded so that it opens by itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My fuel door will not lock closed any more. I have tried many times to push the button, Turn on and off the power and it never locks closed. Any suggestions

1 - 20 of 26 Posts