Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a good used car. My daughter is turning 16 and she gets the 2000 Camry so I need another car to drive. Son will turn 16 in 3 years and he gets the next car. Am going to pick up and test drive a 2002 S60. It has 43K and I should be able to get it for around $17K. I have always heard and read about the Volvo being a safe dependable car, which with a 16 year old son driving it someday would be important. Any guidance would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An update. I picked it up yesterday and it is the cleanest looking 3 1/2 year old car I've ever seen, and the dealer hasn't even detailed it yet. It is white with tan leather interior, moon roof, TSC, heated seats, power drivers seat with 3 memory settings, AM/FM/CASS/CD. automatic transmission and has the P 205 55 R16 tires and wheels. Drives great too. The only things I can see is one tail light has a crack in the casing and it needs new tires and a front brake job. They're asking $16.9K which is about $1,500 - $1,600 under book. If I can get them to do a new set of Michelin Hydroedge tires and the brake job I think I'll go ahead and make the deal. I know on this and other boards people had posted about the large turning radius. I haven't noticed that being a problem yet. Of course one of the other vehicles I drive is a Chevy Tahoe, so anything other than a Suburban is going to seem easier to turn. I'm going to drive it all weekend and then we'll make a decision.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do. Have a soccer tournament to drive to this weekend so I'll get to see how it does on the interstates. Me in a Volvo at a soccer tournament. How much more preppy can I get?

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay. It's now Sunday night and I've been driving it all weekend. Friday night took it to Louisville to father-in-laws house. Had to drive through a tornado warning and rain so hard that it was what they call in Texas a "frog strangler". No problems on the wet roads even with the worn out tires. Saturday cold and very windy. Wind didn't seem to bother the car that much. Today a little nicer, but still cold. Thought those heated seats would be something I would never use, but man are they great. Out on the interstates just set the cruise on about 70 and ease along.

We are going to meet with the salesman around noon tomorrow. Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went to the dealer yesterday and made the deal. Picked up the car this afternoon. Spent part of the evening reading the owners manual and programming the radio, etc. The other part of the evening was spent riding around with my daughter in her (new to her) Camry. She got her learners permit today so we had to go riding tonight. She's already gotten rid of my Blood, Sweat & Tears CD and reprogrammed the radio to HER stations. She was so excited and I've got to admit I'm a little excited too, since I got a Volvo S60 out of the deal. We ended up getting a really good deal on it and look forward to many years of driving it. Appreciate all the comments suggestions and recommendations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just recently purchased a 2002 Volvo S-60 2.4T from my co-worker when she was goin to turn in her lease. It is Black w/ tan interior. Had 29K miles. Paid $18,700 for it. Nice car. I agree the turning radius is a bit wide and I have factory 5 star 16"'s on the wheels w/ factory Continentals and the rub when I make U-turns. The ride is smooth and solid and that low pressure turbo really does a great job of moving the car. Would love to try a T5 some day! Just had the 30,000 mile service done. The picked drove me to my employer and picked me up when it was done. The quotes price was less when I came back to pick up the car! They also follow up w/ you by phone to see how your experience was. They even upgraded my engine's software and fixed a cup holder door under warranty. If you need a better S-60 manual, please email me and I'll send you one I pulled from the internet by Volvo. Much more detailed than the factory one in the glove box.

Enjoy!
Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts