Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the car but didn't like the Pirelli's on the 17 wheels, which are hard to keep clean as well. Snow performance is lousy. Also, I have a few pothole marks on the wheels. I'm considering changing to new rims and H-rated all season tires 215/55-16 (which will give zero speedometer effect) which should improve snow handling, better ride but probably somewhat reduced handling. This is a trade-off I'm willing to make but wanted the thoughts of anyone else who had ever "minus" sized tires. My wife has a v70 2.4T and every time I drive it in snow it's better and I even find the handling quite good and the ride is much smoother with the 16 inch tires.

Would appreciate any thoughts or comments.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes you will get a better ride out of the 16 inch tires.You can have the dealer change the settings in the computer to 16 inch rims to make sure the speedo is correct.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I think the 215/55's came on the stock cars with the 16's.I would put on what came on the cars from the factory and have the dealer set the computer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally decided and bought the 16 inch AT Italia Inox (Black inside with Stainless Face) along with 215/55/16 Toyo Proxes 4 tires from a local perfomance shop which was pretty competitive (Illusions in East Hanover NJ - ask for Kash, very nice guy who will work with you and one of the owners). Very happy with the change. Ride is much better, no more rubbing in wheel wells with sharp turns at low speeds and handling doesn't seem noticably different. Have not had a chance to drive in snow/ice yet, but it could only be better. I really like the black inside of the wheel as brake dust will not show and only the vertical face has stainless with no clear coat, so it can be polished. This is the second time I've downsized from the top of the line wheels on sport coupes and both times I've been pleased with the result. YMMV, but for me it's better. Maybe I'm just getting old.

I now have 4 17 inch Volvo Tethys rims with tires, two of which are in real good shape and two of which have curb rash at the edge if anyone's interested.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the wheels on your car.There is some nice performance places in N.J. and the people are nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts