Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone! My dealer wants $350 for a new key and a new remote for a V70! Plus $100 to program the remote! Does any one know how to program these remotes? If I buy a remote on ebay or online can I program it to my car? Is it possible to program the remote myself? What tools or software do I need? And finally does my key or remote have a transponder in it? If anyone can answer any of these questions and point me in the right direction I would appreciate it!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Unfortunitly you have to have the dealer program the remote.They have to use their vadis computer and download software into the car to program the remote.Yes your key has a transponder in it.If you every buy a new key you will have to have the dealer program it as well.You can buy a remote online and have the dealer program it as long as it matches your car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
had to obtain a new key. Found a locksmith (auto type) who could cut the special key, but had to have the key programmed at the Volvo dealer (McDonalds in
Littleton, CO.) It cost $ 100 plus original key $ 10 bucks. They have to link
this to a satellite program - as I watched the process. Perhaps it cuts down
on potential theft? Swede in Colorado

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought a C70 and it came with only 1 key and 1 remote. I was not pleased to discovered that the dealer wanted $200 for each. Nor give me a break if I bought 2 keys at once; 2 keys and 1 remote $600. Frankly, it seems a blatant attempt by Volvo to fleece their customers. They don't license the key software to any independent shops and the local dealers manage to keep a straight face while telling me about the 1 hour of labor at $91/hr they charge to do something they admit takes less than 10 minutes. That plus the $9 lug nut I bought made me seriously question if Volvo was a company I wanted a long term relationship with.

Circuit City will install an alarm system with remote starter and keyless entry including 2 remotes and a bypass of the key transponder for about $200. The system usually only bypasses the transponder for a moment but the technician agreed he could wire it to permanently bypass the transponder. The bypass is a box mounted under the dash with a key with a transponder in it.

As an experiment, I bought a key without a transponder at a local locksmith for $25. You can find them for <$15 if you shop. If I hold the key with the transponder nearby, I can start the car with the key without the transponder. I am quite tempted to open the steering column and tape the transponder key inside. Or, file the key down and leave it on a keychain attached nearby.

The transponder security system has little value to me. My insurance gives me only a meaningless price break and having a thief merely pull the ignition lock to attempt to start the car puts me way over my insurance deductible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm in a similar situation where I also received just one key and remote when I purchased the car, based on your experience I hope I'll never have to come up with another one.

Dan in Denver

·
Registered
10 Posts
We get two keys in the UK as standard, maybe you should hassle dealers for an extra key as part of the deal. Trade it for one of the cup holders

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can have Circuit City or Future Shop (in Canada) program you a new remote at about 300$ or but a remote (I bought a 99$ 2-way remote at Canadian Tire for my 2000 s70) and have it installed by sacrificing one key to bypass security. (cost me 70$)
I was stunned that Volvo doesn't automatically install the remote starters. A luxury car with no remote starter... hmmm...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Instead of looking any software or to buy remote,one should consult to locksmiths service and personally Bolingbrook locksmith service provide all these works at affordable prices and in a very short period of time.They are licensed and certified and their technicians provide high skilled equipment.

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
QUOTE (Danielsmith @ Mar 21 2016, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Instead of looking any software or to buy remote,one should consult to locksmiths service and personally Bolingbrook locksmith service provide all these works at affordable prices and in a very short period of time.They are licensed and certified and their technicians provide high skilled equipment.
WARNING please do not add attachments .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts