Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tech,
I tried to clean my 99 2.9L NA ETM today. It seems an easy job. I first removed the intake hose clamp by using a 7 mm socket. But, I was not able to remove the CLIC type small hose clamp on the intake pipe side of oil trap vent hose (the vent hose is connected from the top of the oil trap to the intake pipe just below ETM).
How did you remove the CLIC type hose clamp? Are you using a special tool?

Otherwise, I have to cut the small vent hose to remove the intake pipe from an ETM. The CLIC type hose clamp can be removed from the intake pipe since there is more room (after the intake pipe is removed from an ETM). Then simply install a new vent hose after cleaning the ETM. Thanks in advance.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Sometimes the hose will slide off with some help.If not then you will have to cut it.

Most of the time I will just leave like it is.Then slide the throttle body out without removing the hose.

If you want you can cut it and install a new clamp.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tech,
You mean I can remove 4-10mm bolts to remove ETM without taking out the intake pipe and the air vent hose (after loosening the intake pipe 7 mm bolt). Just slide off a little bit to clean the throttle plate (Maybe I don't need to disconnect the electrical wire either). I still need to cover the starter positive terminal not to short accidentally when removing the bolts (a ratchet sometimes touch the positive terminal). What do you think about this? You are really helping me quick and professionally. Thanks in advance.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes you can slide the throttle body out without removing the hose.Sometimes you can get it out enough to clean it without unpluging the electrical plug.

On the N/A engines you have alot more room to work with.

Yes cover the connection really good to help protect the tools and throttle body.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tech,
How do you disconnect the electrical connector? I don't see any plastic tabs near the ETM to unplug the connector? Where is the connector (or nearby the starter)? Thanks again.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The connector is on the big plastic harness cover that runs in front of the starter to the rigth side when looking at the engine.

You will have to feed some back.Or you can remove the braket on the back of the starter and then all the wiring and the plug will come all the way out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts