Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can smell exhaust fumes in my V70 2.5T car when the heater is on and the heater fan going - but not if I put climate control to off. There is a little bit of smoke coming out of the oil filler cap and a trace from the exhaust but not under acceleration. I can't think how fumes are getting into the car as I thought the only way in is either through the main air vents under the windscreen wipers or the tailgate. The rubbers on both seem ok but is there any other way in. It must be fairly bad cos it gives me a headache and im sure is not good for my health! Is there some system where the exhaust gases are supposed to be recirculated into the inlet tract.
Help if anyone has any ideas.
thanks steve

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Are you sure it is Exhaust and not rubber burning?Some times the upper engine mount falls apart and falls on the exhaust and burns then gets sucked in from the vent system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(steve1000 @ Feb 27 2005, 04:23 PM)I can smell exhaust fumes in my V70 2.5T car when the heater is on and the heater fan going - but not if I put climate control to off. There is a little bit of smoke coming out of the oil filler cap and a trace from the exhaust but not under acceleration. I can't think how fumes are getting into the car as I thought the only way in is either through the main air vents under the windscreen wipers or the tailgate. The rubbers on both seem ok but is there any other way in. It must be fairly bad cos it gives me a headache and im sure is not good for my health! Is there some system where the exhaust gases are supposed to be recirculated into the inlet tract.
Help if anyone has any ideas.
thanks steve
[snapback]4113[/snapback]​

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
You could also have a leak in the exhaust mainfold gasket or the other side of the manifold.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the end I went to a Volvo dealer(!) and it turns out to be my rear oil seal chucking oil onto thr exhaust. PHEW WHAT A SMELL but now got to get that rear oil seal done.

thanks for advice

steve

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Ouch pretty expensive to replace.Like 10 hours labor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ouch - paid £170 (UK) for new rear engine oil seal to be fitted and problem still there! I originally thought it was exhaust fumes in car they said its engine oil - there was certainly oil coming out of back of engine but exhaust still fumes coming up from behind turbo area and into car.
Off to Volvo dealer again for re-diagnosis.

steve

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Did they replace the turbo return line o-ring and gasket? That is another place that leaks oil alot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts