Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to purchase a new set of keys for a 1999 S70-Mine only has valet keys. Is there a way to know that I am being charged a reasonable price, or is there an on-line/less expensive alternative in re: cost of key and programming? Why do they have to be programmed? Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Hi there. Expect to get fleeced. Virtually all cars with computer, electronics etc have very expensive keys. Toyota's have a micro-chip in the key which talks to the car computer which turns on the petrol pump. Keys are expensive.

As for the Volvo keys-the computer needs to be reprogrammed for your new micro-chips. Don't worry if the local agent wants anything between $500.00 to $600.00 for your replacement keys.

An oil change might be cheaper!!

My opinions are worth two cents on a good day

Cheers

·
Registered
143 Posts
I agree with you. I lost my valet key and asked about replacement costs. The dealer gave rough price of $200 with the programming charge; subsequent keys would be about $50 each, since this dealer only charges one programming fee no matter how many keys are ordered. I didn't ask about the main key, so I wouldn't be surprised by the $500-600 figure -- but you may as well get a few spares while you're at it. Good luck, and I feel your pain! Cheers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As of 6/29/05: $140.00 for one new Volvo ignition key for a 1999 S70. Price includes programming.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(kevino @ Jun 29 2005, 12:59 PM)As of 6/29/05: $140.00 for one new Volvo ignition key for a 1999 S70. Price includes programming.
[snapback]10616[/snapback]​

That is a pretty good price!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts