Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! This is a great source of info. I wish I had found it yesterday. I had the same turn signal problem as posted here. Took my car to electrical repair shop and was less than happy with the results.

Back to my topic. Previous owner did not own an oil can, thus door hinges were never oiled. When I oiled them the driver's door hinge began to make two very loud pops everytime I open the door. Is there any way to correct this without replacing the hinge?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
First look at the door hinge really good.There is a metal bar that loops around from like top to bottom.Make sure it is not broken.If it is ok you can try to lube it a little more.

The S90's are kind of weird that way.They will be tight if not lubbed and when lubbed some they will pop.You kind of have to play with it to get it quiet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello;

I have a 1998 XC70 and have the same problem (i think). I took the car to the dealership for a recall (headlamp switch was faulty). Ever since we picked up the car, the door popped when opening and closing. We called the dealership a week later and made an appointment to come back. They looked at it and said (per my wife) that the door stopper broke off and would need to be welded. It was only a coincidence that this happened when we took it for service. They would charge $200 to fix it, or we could get it welded on our own. A mechanic did not look at it, but the person at the counter that takes the appointments told my wife that.

I've tried spraying grease in the area, but no help.

Any suggestions?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
That is kind of typical with the 850,S70,V70 and XC70,
I think it just happened to break when they had it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does it really need to be welded, or do know of a workaround where I can stop that darned noise?

Thanks for your help;

-Jim (Stratey)

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Ok first thing check it out for yourself.
Open the door and look at the little arm that goes from the door to the body.
Look at the body of the car.Pull the rubber boot off the body side.Make sure the torxes screw and make sure it is tight.Then look at the body and see if you see it cracked.If it is cracked then it will need to be welded.

You can just find your own body shop to weld it.
You don't need to go through the dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts