Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a 98 s70 with 96k miles on it. I was just informed by the dealer the engine is blown because the belt tensioner failed and the top end of the engine needs to be replaced for an estimated $4K. The car had the t-belt changed at 70K miles. The delaer never mentioned the tensioner before. Help I do not know if i SHOULD PUT $4K INTO A 98 WITH 96k MILES.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It will be well worth it to repair it.That was a big discussion at the dealer I used to work at that the tensioner should be replaced at every timing belt service.I would always sell the tensioner when I did the belt.Once you have it fixed and keep an eye on the tensioner the engine will last you about 200,000 more miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE(Tech @ Dec 19 2004, 12:28 AM)It will be well worth it to repair it.That was a big discussion at the dealer I used to work at that the tensioner should be replaced at every timing belt service.I would always sell the tensioner when I did the belt.Once you have it fixed and keep an eye on the tensioner the engine will last you about 200,000 more miles.
[snapback]1775[/snapback]​

the smart owner will always change the tensioner with the belt.
One thing i'll add is this, think about changeing your water pump when you install your 2nd. timing belt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts