Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 850, and noticed while driving home (not during the test drive) that the steering is erratic, and the car wanders. I've been told it needs a new right ball joint. I've also been told that on this car you can't replace just the ball joint, you have to replace the whole control arm. Is this right? And is it likley that fixing this will remedy the wandering as well? Thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
I believe I have read this somewhere that you can just change the ball-joint, but it is very troublesome. Because of this, many would ask that you replace the whole control arm.

Up to you, dude.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have changed a fair few of these,there farly easy to change and ya average mech should be able to at little cost, about 35mins a side so an hours labour. i would advise a pair as they normaly have done the same mileage. as for the question can you change just the ball joint........no sorry

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips. You're right, the control arm is part of the fix. I'm looking at $275 all in. Only problem is, my mechanic isn't confident that the repair will help with the erratic steering I'm dealing with. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why and how is it so toublesome? I checked mine over the weekend due to a "clunking" noise and noticed the driver side has slack. My local AutoZone carries just the ball joint for $35 with a lifetime warranty. Is it pressed-in?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
No it is not pressed in it is part of the control arm.
The computer system at Auto Zone must not know that.

The entire control arm needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The ball joint was the problem with the steering, and it's now straight as an arrow! Before it felt like a strong gust of wind was catching the car every so often, and blowing it over to the shoulder or centre line...now, no "wind"!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts

Happy that you're happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts