Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I'm a new member from Canada.
In the spring, I purchased a 1995 940 turbo from my brother in law.
The sunroof worked beautifully until about a month ago.
It opens nicely but doesn't close. The other morning I touched it accidentally. I had to open the roof fully and press the button (open and close), a number of times. I then gently pushed the button and it closed. I have no ideas if this was co-incidental.
Anyway, I'm wondering if it's the switch or the motor????
Thanks.
Ray

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Take the switch out and carefully open it and clean it and put dielectric grease on the parts and put it back together.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ray,

Hi i live in Central Florida and Repair Sunroofs and Headliners for a living , Full time for over 20 Years.

Its most likly the Secector gates.

This is the part which the drive cables are attatch to open and close the roof.

Your limited to the repair - Volvo does make a Rail kit for your car.

The problem is that where the Sunroof cables slide on the selector gates , Volvo has added a thin plastic materail to allow the cable to freely slide, Not like on the 740,...Now the thin plastic materail on the selector gates are cracked because of age & heat and does not allow the cable to freely slide any longer.

It is possible to remove the access thin plastic on the gates, the only issue i would see would it would perhaps rattle from time to time because of the extra play between the gate and the cable end. But no more than a 16th of a inch.

Other than that you would have to order a rail Kit and spend $$ for parts and Installation of the new roof parts. ( do it your self or have someone with Sunroof knowledge do it for you )

Let me know if you need more help.

O yea just another issues, i keep these in stock and just about every new kits has to be returned to the parts dept because the exact problem i'm telling you about happens right in the replacment bag, not even installed yet. !

Bill Stauffer
Headliner Express
Oviedo,Fl USA

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the reply.
My mechanic had said that it was definitely not the switch.
We go to Kissimmee every March break, unfortunately, not in the Volvo, otherwise, the car and I would visit you.
I'm rather disinclined to try and replace the plastic guides myself, for the reason you gave, I'd crack them, rendering them useless.
Is this an expensive job? I have been told that any job at Volvo is.
Thanks,
Ray

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help.
Last week, the mechanic took the switch apart and the sunroof works beautifully.
Just in time for winter.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Thank god it was only the switch dirty!!!

If you ever get a chance stop by a salvage yard and pick up an extra switch. This way you can clean it and keep it close if it happens again just swap it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts