Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just got a '95 850 GLT at a public auction. It has 82k miles. Fully loaded, and I only paid $1,500. I thought I got a steal, but I soon found out it needed a lot of work. For few minor thing, now appears I can easily fix thanks to all the helpful posts here. Seat not moving up, sun roof slider cover coming off, passenger airbag cover coming off..., it looks like this car has common problems.
So, I was told that I need to replace head gasket! $1000-1500 problem. Is this a common problem for 850? Engine oil is leaking and it's everywhere under the hood.
Also it accelerates unusually slow in first gear at around 1500 rpm. I thought maybe the car was designed such a way that it's safer on snow?!
One more thing, during acceleration from rest, it emits a lot of smoke through muffler. Do you think the slow acceleration and smoke is related to the gasket problem, or are these seperate things that need to be repaired.
After two days since the purchase, I'm beginning to regret getting this match box.
What do you think, '95 850 GLT for about $3000-3200 after few days of repair, worth it??

P.S. Anything special about GLT models? What does it mean?

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
If you have a blown headgasket yes the car will run like crap.
It will smoke like He**.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(Androyd @ Sep 16 2005, 11:57 AM)

I just got a '95 850 GLT at a public auction. It has 82k miles. Fully loaded, and I only paid $1,500. I thought I got a steal, but I soon found out it needed a lot of work. For few minor thing, now appears I can easily fix thanks to all the helpful posts here. Seat not moving up, sun roof slider cover coming off, passenger airbag cover coming off..., it looks like this car has common problems.
So, I was told that I need to replace head gasket! $1000-1500 problem. Is this a common problem for 850? Engine oil is leaking and it's everywhere under the hood.
Also it accelerates unusually slow in first gear at around 1500 rpm. I thought maybe the car was designed such a way that it's safer on snow?!
One more thing, during acceleration from rest, it emits a lot of smoke through muffler. Do you think the slow acceleration and smoke is related to the gasket problem, or are these seperate things that need to be repaired.
After two days since the purchase, I'm beginning to regret getting this match box.
What do you think, '95 850 GLT for about $3000-3200 after few days of repair, worth it??

P.S. Anything special about GLT models? What does it mean?
[snapback]15452[/snapback]​

I hope he is now OK.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts