Volvo Owners Forum banner

1995 850 GLT 20 valve manual

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Tech 
#1 ·
I have had this wagon from new and in the last month have had trouble starting it when the temperature is below -5 C or colder. This seems to be every day for the last month as I live north of Lake Ontario. When I turn the key to start, the engine fires, revs to about 2000 rpm then immediately dies back to 0 rpm. After 5 or 6 similar attempts I can hear a light 'buzzing' sound that I think comes from the front of the engine. Then after 2 or 3 more attempts there is a loud 'clicking' sound from either the area behind the instruments or inside the engine bay. Once this load 'clicking' is heard the engine starts and idles normally. I hope this is a relay rather than an expensive computer part. Any advise would be greatly appreciated - Thank You.

#2 ·
Could be a faulty fuel pump relay.If you can get ahold of a fuel pressure guage I would put it and and watch the fuel pressure and see what happens.If the fuel pressure drops before the car stalls then I would say that is the problem.Also make sure you have no water in the fuel.

#3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think it is the fuel pump relay as I can always hear the pump working when I turn the ignition on. Is there another relay that could prevent the engine starting? I've been adding gas line anti-freeze at each fill up. I have also found on other cars that if the gas line is frozen I usually have to wait for a + C day before it will restart.

#4 ·
Another thing you can check for is that your rear cam seal might be leaking into the cam position sensor.When it is that cold it might be staying in the holes blocking the signal.The cam sensor is located under an aluminum cover under the top engine mount on the motor.Where the mount has an upsidedown V where it meets the motor you will see the cover take it off and see if there is oil in there.I dont think there is another relay that would prevent it from starting if you hear the fuel pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.