Volvo Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE (Sparky4688 @ May 26 2009, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>OK, now I remember the EGR extra line issue. Your car does not have a vacuum connection to the left of the EGR on the engine intake manifold (facing car). Your connection is under the vacuum tree on the intake manifold and connects to the white connection on turbo. See my previous pictures and nots as it applies to you.

Sorry for for ignorance but are you saying t the egr line in with the "white" line that is second down on the intake manifold? That picture is hard to tell what is going on.

I made some ridiculous drawings in ms paint real quick to hopefully illustrate my question.
The drawing I made shows how things are setup currently. Maybe if you could make a ms paint drawing showing where they should go that would help me out. I'm a visual learner. Thanks a ton!

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
jayg,

I have attached 5 high quality pictures of my Volvo 1994 850 Turbo. Sorry, I could not make out the drawings you posted. I recommend you attach the vacuum line you know are correct then we concentrate on the one or two remaining unknowns. There are 13 total vacuum lines each with 2 connections so it can be a bit confusing.

We can work through this.

Sparky

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
As you can see I used zip ties for my convenience on some of the connections near the vacuum tree. The Turbo vacuum connections are stainless metal hose clamps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE (Sparky4688 @ May 26 2009, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>jayg,

I have attached 5 high quality pictures of my Volvo 1994 850 Turbo. Sorry, I could not make out the drawings you posted.

It was a pretty bad drawing. I appreciate the actual phots and I should be able to get somewhere with them tonight. Thanks for the help and I'll update this in a few hours when I get a chance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok just looking at your pictures I have everything down except a few things.

1. Where does the line off the egr under the intake manifold run?
2. 1 line is capped on the front of the vacuum tree and that is fine, but the other two go to the vacuum regulator?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
QUOTE (jayg @ May 26 2009, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok just looking at your pictures I have everything down except a few things.

1. Where does the line off the egr under the intake manifold run?

see my next post.

2. 1 line is capped on the front of the vacuum tree and that is fine, but the other two go to the vacuum regulator?

2 line off front of vacuum tree go to adapter on top of radiator. see picture 6.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Great! I'm working on a leaking break caliper, SRS light, and ABS light. Lots of great references in this forum to draw from. A 1994 vehicle is a labor of love for us cheapskates.

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE (Sparky4688 @ May 27 2009, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great! I'm working on a leaking break caliper, SRS light, and ABS light. Lots of great references in this forum to draw from. A 1994 vehicle is a labor of love for us cheapskates.

Viola! It's fixed. Thanks a ton for the actual pictures. They helped me more than any diagram could. Car boosts strongly and does not stumble when coming to a hard stop. I'll be hanging around here for sure!

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (swedseed850 @ Oct 27 2008, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do you have an metal engine vacuum that runs under your spark plug cover?

Yes I do. Plus my engine was swapped out for the T5r motor, so its a gamble tryn to identify most diagrams.
But, you said you went to the dealer too, I assume everything is ok?
Those signs of good performance is good, 850's run like crap if thats whats put in to it.

hi just browsing here looking for help on my 1994 T5. it seems I have a pipe connected to my Engine, under the spark plug cover, which does not connect at the other end

can anyone tell me where the other end it supposed to go, i cannot find it listed on any diagrams

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
also, while under there, I noticed that my second post down on the Vacuum tree, had nothing connected to it, so what is supposed to go here [if anything], as I noticed pics earlier in this post, shows a piped connected here

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
1. Turbo bypass valve usually listed as "white" to vacuum line (just aft of the distributor cap) that runs under the spark plug cover.

2. PTC on air intake pipe near turbo to front of intake manifold under vacuum tree. Not to vacuum tree but to intake manifold.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
My vacuum tree was old, brittle, and leaking vacuum. Replaced it and used clear RTV to seal vacuum tree to engine.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Specific answer is the vacuum line you show circled in yellow on you picture does connect to the vacuum tree. Just looking at your pictures I'll bet you have a check engine light as well. Recommended fix for check engine light is to double check ALL your vacuum lines. See previous posts within this string as well.

One other check engine light trick is to put light coating of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on gas cap gasket for better seal. If the gas cap seal in worn or cracked then replace the gas cap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (Sparky4688 @ Oct 31 2009, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Specific answer is the vacuum line you show circled in yellow on you picture does connect to the vacuum tree. Just looking at your pictures I'll bet you have a check engine light as well. Recommended fix for check engine light is to double check ALL your vacuum lines. See previous posts within this string as well.

One other check engine light trick is to put light coating of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on gas cap gasket for better seal. If the gas cap seal in worn or cracked then replace the gas cap.

Hi

as it stands, i have NO ENGINE lights on, and the car runs perfectly as it is now! I did connect this pipe to the vacuum tree, and it started sturrering, and smoking out of the exhuast, so i pulled it off again, and it idled lovely again.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
If it ain't broke don't fit it.

But there may be other factors in play with your vacuum system. Did you check all your vacuum connections. there are approximately 13 lines with 2 connections each for your model. How is your gas mileage? Should be about 23-28 mpg range around town........ and about 30-31 highway........

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
One more thought, do you have oil under the ending spark plug cover? If so, by connecting that one line you may have reconnected your whole vacuum system and you could be pulling accumulated oil from your PCV.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Here is a clear picture of that connection. Do check the integrity of the other line from the vacuum tree that runs under the injector rail.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE (Sparky4688 @ Nov 1 2009, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If it ain't broke don't fit it.

But there may be other factors in play with your vacuum system. Did you check all your vacuum connections. there are approximately 13 lines with 2 connections each for your model. How is your gas mileage? Should be about 23-28 mpg range around town........ and about 30-31 highway........

Hi, yes my car seems to run fine, getting around 31 mpg on open road. it only caugt my attention as i was under hood fixing the turbo gauge pipe. i will look at that last pic and relate it to mine, but I dont see a pipe like that one coming from the other end

21 - 40 of 50 Posts