Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you help me with my turbo vacuum lines? I have the vacuum diagram and want to confirm 2 connections. Turbo bypass valve usually listed as "white" to intake manifold. AND PTC on air intake pipe near turbo to throttle body. I can send pictures with annotation if need to be more specific. Once I have confirmed these 2 connections I will post all 10 vacuum connection for others to reference.

·
Registered
621 Posts
send pictures with annotation
you have 20 or more "home" connections for vacume lines.
yes you are correct with the color code.
now some manifolds dont have the side connection, but two near the tree.
pics to see your setup would help.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1994 Volvo 850 Turbo - vacuum lines

I have added 5 pictures, 2 I took with my camera with annotation and 3 reference sheets.

Need to confirm these vacuum line connections:

1. Turbo bypass valve usually listed as "white" to intake manifold. See reference picture Intake to Turbo bypass valve AND Turbo 200 "white" line.

2. PTC on air intake pipe near turbo to engine vacuum line near distributor cap. See reference PTC on air intake pipe near turbo to engine vacuum AND PCV AND vacuum routing.

Thanks,
Sparky

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
QUOTE(Sparky4688 @ Oct 26 2008, 05:58 PM)1994 Volvo 850 Turbo - vacuum lines

I have added 5 pictures, 2 I took with my camera with annotation and 3 reference sheets.

Need to confirm these vacuum line connections:

1. Turbo bypass valve usually listed as "white" to intake manifold. See reference picture Intake to Turbo bypass valve AND Turbo 200 "white" line.

2. PTC on air intake pipe near turbo to engine vacuum line near distributor cap. See reference PTC on air intake pipe near turbo to engine vacuum AND PCV AND vacuum routing.

Thanks,
Sparky
[snapback]94869[/snapback]​

Not on mine, That one from the intake connects to a line running around the front of the car left to the rear, has a filter like connection on it.

----You talkn about #18?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. Turbo bypass valve usually listed as "white" to intake manifold.

I think your 1994 may be older 1994 as Volvo changed the design to connect to intake manifold just below the throttle body/vacuum tree. Filter may catch oil blow by from turbo. Volvo dealer parts dept pointed out the change to me in connections to me. There are 2 unique PTVs depending on engine and engine serial number combination. Just wanted to ensure the other end goes to white turbo bypass valve.

----You talkn about #18?

I'm talkin' about #18! PTC to intake. Picture is deceiving. Do you have an metal engine vacuum that runs under your spark plug cover? Again this is another change, you engine may not have this vacuum line located here. Runs on top of engine to heat vacuum but not sure why it would be heated.

Additional note: Connections must be close / correct as engine and turbo have never run better. ABS caution (yellow) does not come on as fast and cruise control holds speed perfectly. Steady idle and acceleration to 70 mph where I stopped accelerating to prevent a ticket.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Do you have an metal engine vacuum that runs under your spark plug cover?

Yes I do. Plus my engine was swapped out for the T5r motor, so its a gamble tryn to identify most diagrams.
But, you said you went to the dealer too, I assume everything is ok?
Those signs of good performance is good, 850's run like crap if thats whats put in to it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, here's the connection: Applies to 1994 Turbo 1/2 of year and I am told but could not verified 1993 Turbos.

1. Turbo bypass valve usually listed as "white" to vacuum line (just aft of the distributor cap) that runs under the spark plug cover.

2. PTC on air intake pipe near turbo to front of intake manifold under vacuum tree. Not to vacuum tree but to intake manifold.

Hope this helps someone else along the way!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
OK, thanks!

·
Registered
438 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bringing this one back.

I'm currently doing the vacuum lines on my '94 and one off the egr (looks like) just wasn't connected. Can anybody just take a few pictures of the front of their engine bay giving me and a general idea where they go. The digrams are kinda confusing. Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (jayg @ May 25 2009, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Bringing this one back.

I'm currently doing the vacuum lines on my '94 and one off the egr (looks like) just wasn't connected. Can anybody just take a few pictures of the front of their engine bay giving me and a general idea where they go. The digrams are kinda confusing. Thanks!

Hi,

I have posted several pictures of my EGR connections. Note the 94 is different from first half of the year. First half of year is like 93 and 2nd half is like 94-96. Much confusion with those vacuum lines. Let me know what is connected and I will walk you through the connections. Pictures of connections tend to come out badly.

Sparky

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE (Sparky4688 @ May 25 2009, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi,

I have posted several pictures of my EGR connections. Note the 94 is different from first half of the year. First half of year is like 93 and 2nd half is like 94-96. Much confusion with those vacuum lines. Let me know what is connected and I will walk you through the connections. Pictures of connections tend to come out badly.

Sparky

I guess I have the different routing I suppose. One of the nipples on the vacuum tree has a cap on it and the egr actuator wasnt hooked up to anything. I bought all new vacuum line to replace the rough ones but since I had no diagram I just replaced them and put it back the way it was (which im sure is wrong). I hear compressor surge and no bypass sound so I dont know if my compressor bypass valve is working and my factory boost gauge doesnt work. Hoses under the airbox looked fine for the boost gauge but it was pretty had to trace that all the way to the firewall.

The car runs and drives fine with no cel but there is a slight hesisitation that i can tell the ecu is fighting to not stall when coming to a sudden stop. So if you guys could help undo what the previous owner did that would be great.

The Egr valve under the intake manifold has a line that is not connected to anything. Its not pulling vacuum. The vacuum tree has 3 nipples on the front. 1 is capped off and the other two are running to the egr vacuum regulator. I know one line should go into the regulator from the actuator but I dont know which nipple on that vacuum regulator.

My other issue was the boost gauge which I can get to later but I have a picture of the vacuum "port" over by the battery. No vacuum is being pulled on the 2 lines that run toward the firewall under the battery so no wonder the gauge isnt working. However I dont know how it should be run.

Here are some random pictures for you guys and hopefully it'll make sense to you.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The vacuum lines under the battery are for the cruise control and does not pull a vacuum at idle. No noticable vacuum until ~25-28 MPH.

The boost guage line on the back of the instrument panel is probable pinched, rotten - leaking or off. When replacing the instrument panel is is easy to mess up the brass connector and break / crack it.

My vacuum tree was old, brittel, and leaking vacuum. Replaced it and used clear RTV to seal vacuum tree to engine.

More about the ERG connections later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE (Sparky4688 @ May 26 2009, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The vacuum lines under the battery are for the cruise control and does not pull a vacuum at idle. No noticable vacuum until ~25-28 MPH.

The boost guage line on the back of the instrument panel is probable pinched, rotten - leaking or off. When replacing the instrument panel is is easy to mess up the brass connector and break / crack it.

My vacuum tree was old, brittel, and leaking vacuum. Replaced it and used clear RTV to seal vacuum tree to engine.

More about the ERG connections later.

Thanks for the help so far. I'm glad I can ignore the cruise control stuff for now. When I have stuff not connected to the vacuum tree and capped off I know its not good for performance and can't figure out with the PO didnt fix it. I guess because it ran good enough.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, now I remember the EGR extra line issue. Your car does not have a vacuum connection to the left of the EGR on the engine intake manifold (facing car). Your connection is under the vacuum tree on the intake manifold and connects to the white connection on turbo. See my previous pictures and nots as it applies to you.

Volvo manufactures one EGR cable with 2 lines, one small ~1/4" and the other ~1/2". The 1/2" goes to EGR valve and to the intake air tube ~3" round near Turbo vacuum lines. The small ~1/4" line is usually abandonded with neiters side connected. I modified the ~1/4" line to the intake manifold under the vaccum tree and the other end to the white Turbo vacuum connector. Again see my noters and pictures posted previously. I would not modify this ~1/4" line after the fact, mine was new install with intake monifold, injectors, EGR and all other parts removed and out of the way.

Also suggest you have your injectors rebuilt if they are removed. I can recommend a place in NJ that has about a 4-5 day turnaround.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts