Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi guys im a newbie and i recently got my moms 1994 volvo 940, automatic, 110,000 miles i was wondering are there any simple mods that can be done to this car performance wise becuase this thing is umm how do i put this... SLOW. Thanks for any help

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Good luck there isn't much out there.

I beleive IPD sell a cam to give you a couple of horses.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i figured there wasnt much out there for it. I guess it was meant for me to have a led sled for my first car
the car is just coming back from the nearest person that works on volvo's (3 cities away) geting the circuit board saudered for the ac and it also had a loose connection on the ignition. I have a question how can this car turn so sharp? is it the power assist steering or what because i noticed you can make incredible turns in parking lots with this car. Also is there anything that is notorious on this car for going bad or was this just a good model.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It is a pretty good model.The most common problems with these cars is what you just had fixed.

The great turning is a very good design in the steering and suspension. Which they lost when they went to the front wheel drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you done a tuneup on the car lately? You may be able to get back some power from the engine if you use some good parts for the tune up. [email protected] makes a replacement air filter for your car that you can get from www.Nopi.com. They have them for $35.57. On the same site you can get NGK Iridium spark plugs for $6.22 each. They seem expensive but they are great plugs. I use them on my eclipse and also my chevy caprice and they helped wake the cars up. Denso also makes iridum plugs for your car but they are a couple bucks more at $10.29 each. Also if you want to unplug the exhaust a little you can always order a universal muffler from a good company like magnaflow or Borla and just go to a local muffler shop and have them put in bigger piping from the cat to the muffler and out the back. usually including the muffler it shouldn't run you more than 300 to 400 bucks. Magnaflow also makes great universal catalytic converters that you could put on at the same time. they usually run between 70-120 dollars. Hope I helped a little and good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE(impulse922 @ Aug 24 2005, 03:00 AM)Hi guys im a newbie and i recently got my moms 1994 volvo 940, automatic, 110,000 miles i was wondering are there any simple mods that can be done to this car performance wise becuase this thing is umm how do i put this... SLOW. Thanks for any help
[snapback]14039[/snapback]​

Unfortunately I think the auto box on this car makes for a lot slower acceleration than the manual version, although mine's quite good above 30mph (turbo model)

You're never going to get a 2.0 ltr automatic that's quick off the mark

It has got a great turning circle, hasn't it? Good job really, given the length of the Beastie

·
Registered
93 Posts
Isnt it a 2.3 or 2.4 Litre car? Mine is good over 30mph as well and yes the auto i must say sucks but it was my moms car and she doesn't know how to drive a manual. Thanks for the info on plugs I will probably get the denso $40 its not like its a v8 so i can afford the more expensive. And the K&n filter.

This is My first car however i have driven others previously and the power "assist" steering is alot better in my opinion.

Anyone know anything about replacing struts and shocks the car needs it i know. Is it a difficult task? To replace them what brand besides the overpriced stock volvo ones?

Edit: i am looking on the iPd site and they have a sport exhaust sytem for me !!!..its $295. Thanks for suggesting the ipd Tech

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No..i don't have that much money and this will just be my car for highschool. I guess being it so slow isnt that bad since its got decent mpg. I just wanted to know it there was anything out there that would wake it up a little.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(impulse922 @ Oct 8 2005, 09:15 AM)No..i don't have that much money and this will just be my car for highschool. I guess being it so slow isnt that bad since its got decent mpg. I just wanted to know it there was anything out there that would wake it up a little.
[snapback]16325[/snapback]​

IPD sells a cam that will wake it up a little.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Tech is right, IPD is all about everything that is Volvo. Call them and ask questions. Or, go online at www.ipdusa.com and check them out. Rather than do engine modifications, check out their suspension goodies, such as front and rear sway bars, lowering springs, chassis braces....etc. You live in a state where weather doesn't effect the quality of the road pavement. Good luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea.. it never snows here
.. My drive way is kind of steep so i wouldnt want to lower because it would rip the spoiler off
I was looking at new struts though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The best investment you could make in your suspension that directly effects the handling and safety of your car is IPS front and rear sway bars. That assuming that the stock suspension is safe in the first place. The lowering springs only drop the car a max of 1.5" in the front and maybe an 1" in the back. But it gives the car an aggressive stance. I spoke to the IPS General Sales Manager at a convention and he feels the sway bar package plus a set of premium Bilsten (I think that's the correct spelling) is the way to go. I don't have the Bilsten's, but I do have the sway bar package and I'll tell you it has been the best bang for the buck modification that has been made to the car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, I did mean IPD....IPS is a competitor and I must have had work on the brain. The sway bar installation is easy and something I would think you could do. The Volvo you are currently driving has a lighter weight front sway bar already, so it's really an unbolt and install a much beefer front bar. The rear might not have one, but IPD's detailed instructions makes this as easy as 1-2-3. Give them a call, discuss your automotive repair skill level, their phone number is 800-444-6473, and give it a try. Shouldn't take more that an afternoon with simple hand tools...oh, don't forget the jack and jack stands. Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts