Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello - I was just seeking general info about my new purchase - a 1991 740. I know volvos are great cars and I just got this one with 100K miles on it in impeccable condition. The A/C is very poor (but the seller told me that) and I guess it requires something not available in the US anymore? Anyone update the a/c in their 740? Advice? Things to keep an eye on?

·
Registered
143 Posts
My 89 had no cool air left, so after reading another posting on recharging the a/c, I had refrigerant added for $80. (I think someone quoted $70 in FL.) It worked fine on my trip in the hot weather up here. I have a slight hole in the compressor, but my mechanic thought that, given the price of refrigerant versus the price of a new compressor, it was worthwhile to give the recharge a try. We'll see how long this last, but for the money I'm happy right now with the probably-temporary fix. Good luck on yours.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
QUOTE(sarahhfa @ Jul 22 2005, 05:44 PM)

Hello - I was just seeking general info about my new purchase - a 1991 740. I know volvos are great cars and I just got this one with 100K miles on it in impeccable condition. The A/C is very poor (but the seller told me that) and I guess it requires something not available in the US anymore? Anyone update the a/c in their 740? Advice? Things to keep an eye on?

[snapback]11792[/snapback]​

All parts for the A/C system are still avalible to buy.
Is it just cooling poorly or not working at all?

·
Registered
116 Posts
First of all, congratulations on the '91 740!!
A great year for a great model....one of the best Volvo has ever made to this day!
To bad about the A/C, you obviously need it in Florida.
Get it charged first and see how long that lasts.
It may be cheaper to get it charged every 2 years than to buy a new compressor or fix leaky tubes etc.
Like EdinDC said...see how long it lasts. If it only lasts a short while then you may need more costly repairs.
The great thing about putting money into these cars is that they always give you a good return for your investment......many years of reliable service!!!!!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The easiest way to find the leak is when they charge it have them install dye.Then when it is empty they can find the leak with a black light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts