Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, 5/9/05, I bought a 1991 Volvo 740 for my son. I need access to the glove box, but cannot get it to open. It is unlocked but the latch must be detached. Has anyone got a way to open the latch without taking the box out, or do I need to start disassembling the dash on that side?
If someone could send a digital photo of the lock and goor in the open position, it would be a help in figuring out how to open it. Thanks,

Steve

·
Volvo Guru !
5,911 Posts
Sorry I could not give you info I was looking into a easy way to get it open.
Sometimes it is hard to find a donor car to look at.

If you would like and you have a digital camera take a couple of pics and post with the instructions on how you got it open.

This way it will help others in the future.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a digital camera but all it took was to use a long (12") thin screwdriver inserted above the lock so that it approached the lock/catch (2" of screwdriver blade out of site) and then push up on the screwdriver, torward the roof of the car but I only ent up maybe 2 to 3 inches, and the box popped right open. The latch was broken internally and will need to be replaced, once I find a donar car. I just took out the tumbler and it will open (with a nail) and latch just fine. Any questions, please ask.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just went to trade in my 850 and the box is jammed....
So you put a thin screwdriver downward into the glove box, and then pull toward and down to you (sitting in the passenger seat).

Of did you put a thin screwdriver in downward and use leverage of the dash to pop it out?

thanks for clarification.
T

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.